Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electromagnetic Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
also a coil gun uses pull forces , not push ... unless you are launching magnets which would be expensive....

to get started ... start with the bullet and the barrel ... what are you using for bullet ... material type ... length / diameter / mass

and how fast / far do you want this bullet to go?

I found this video on youtube.

It does have a schematic, so it might be a good starting point for you.

I hope this helps. :)

How about providing reference material for an electromagnetic ring launcher, rather than a coilgun. Coilguns are usually deemed more dangerous so we generally don't host such discussions here. Ring launchers, on the other hand, can hardly be qualified as a weapon.

For example, here's some reference material for a ring launcher: https://www.wired.com/2014/01/physics-of-the-electromagnetic-ring-launcher/

Thank you,
Matt

@DerStromB: You're right. But any device like this can be turned into a weapon. You can even weaponize flour by grinding it finely enough.

I will not post any more info about coil guns, since it goes against policy here.

Could you point me to that policy on this site? I haven't hear the mods jump on any topic because of policies since I became a regular user. I think you are confusing with a lesser EE-related forum. Here are the rules at ETO.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/tos.php
This is a gray area when it comes to written policy. What is legal in some places may not be legal in others. Here is the list of forbidden topics, taken from the The Forum Rules:

The following activities are strictly forbidden in the forum:
  • Posting SPAM. i.e. Commercial advertising of any kind.
  • Posting, or linking to sites with, material which is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character.
  • Posting, or linking to sites which offer, information about how to perform illegal activities.
  • Soliciting information about how to perform illegal activities, such as jamming a cell phone.
  • Posting, or linking to sites which offer, illegal copies of copyrighted material.
  • Soliciting illegal copies of copyrighted material, such as “cracked” software.
  • PHISHING. i.e. seeking personal information about other people
The two highlighted in bold mention "illegal activities". Since we do not necessarily know what is legal or illegal in the OP's country (or the country of other readers viewing the thread), we generally discourage discussions about things that may be illegal in some places. Notice I did not remove any of the posts above because they do not technically break any actual rules. I am, however, encouraging a better route for discussion which instead errs on the side of caution. Coilguns are intrinsically considered weapons due to their similarities to conventional firearms. Ring launchers, on the other hand, are generally treated more as science projects than weapons due to the fact that they are almost always built to fire straight up rather than at a target. Obviously, as MichaelaJoy pointed out, any of these things can be manipulated and used as a weapon but at that point the responsibility is on the builder.

Best,
Matt

Could you point me to that policy on this site?
I would like to think that we apply common sense where possible.
Do you want the rules so tight that
"Everything which is not compulsory is forbidden"
probably not.

I haven't heard the mods jump on any topic because of policies since I became a regular user.
From time to time it is necessary to squish a thread where someone is wanting something which is a bit deviant.
We just don't make a big deal out of it.
Most users here are well behaved most of the time.

JimB

From time to time it is necessary to squish a thread where someone is wanting something which is a bit deviant.
We just don't make a big deal out of it.
Most users here are well behaved most of the time.

I really like the way this site is moderated and I understand you can kill a lost when it goes in a poor direction. What I was trying to say above, that members shouldn't be claiming this or that is "against policy", when there is no need to halt the conversation because it is not specifically off limits and we have good mods that can kill a topic in their judgement for this site - not basing on the policies of other sites.

gophert: So was it I who made the faux paux?

If so, my bad. For a moderator to make a statement such as was made by DerStromB,
Directly following -my- post, I have to assume that my post raised a red flag.

And seeing as how I'm a new member here, The last thing I want to do is create problems.

No offense meant to anyone.

JimB: Common sense is the key here.
The electronic circuit needed to build the device in question is basically the same, whether you call it an electronic launcher or a coil gun.
You still need a power supply capable of charging a capacitor bank. Plus, you need to control the charge time of the capacitors, so that
you don't fry the above mentioned power supply..

And you need to use an air core coil to move a projectile. As is clearly shown in that video.

The only factor not included, which should be addressed is gravity. If you're going for vertical flight, then gravity becomes
an issue. With vertical flight, gravity affects the distance travelled by the projectile.

With horizontal flight, gravity also affects distance, but as with ballistics, gravity affects accuracy.

An iron core already in the coil makes a stronger field if simply lifting something, but you cannot "fire" anything through it.
How about providing reference material for an electromagnetic ring launcher, rather than a coilgun.

rjenkinsgb goes back to my earlier post. A Derstrom hits another point. A launcher the projectile is goes around the outside of the coil, but the coil gun goes through the center.

The coil gun can't have a metallic core or it just becomes an electromagnet. Just like a pull or push type solenoid doesn't have a magnetic core inside the coil. And the launcher usual only uses a nonmagnetic, metal projectile, because it acts as a shorted turn and uses the eddy currents produced in it to cause the movements.

But he one consistent thing here is the TS doesn't have a clue to what he is talking about.

But he one consistent thing here is the TS doesn't have a clue to what he is talking about.

Or if he does, he thinks we know what he is talking about because there was certainly a communications gap which the OP seems to have interpreted as a knowledge gap.

And the launcher usual only uses a nonmagnetic, metal projectile, because it acts as a shorted turn and uses the eddy currents produced in it to cause the movements.

There is an interesting video about Eddie currents and a launcher, showing how a tiny air gap in the ring will prevent any action (force) on the ring.

@JimB: Common sense is the key here.
The electronic circuit needed to build the device in question is basically the same, whether you call it an electronic launcher or a coil gun.
Indeed.
Any tool can be used as a weapon if you hold it the right way.
A soldering iron for example, I believe that in olden times a King of England was murdered by use of a red hot poker suitably inserted into his person.

JimB

PS, please excuse the thread drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back