Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric fence doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teslatower

I have built an electronic fence and it isnt haveing any affect. What I did was take my chain link fence and put isolaters on the top that hold up the horizontal pole thing. so only the top crossbar is electrified and it cant come in contact to the ground via the vertical posts or anything.

then close to the house I connected a wire to the horizontal pole with pipe solder (i drilled a hole first), and the other end of the wire I ran down to the basement and connected it to the side in the fuse box on the black side. But i screwed it on the bar at a point in the wiring before any of the fuses, because I know it requires lots of power and would probably blow a fuse otherwise. After i was done I put an electric tester on the fence with one end stuck into the grass and it lit up so I know its working.

But its not having any affect on anyone. There are these teenagers that keep climbing over my fense to cross across my property and I watched them just the other day. They both grabbed the top pole to get over the fence and they didnt get electrocuted. I think it has something to do with because they were wearing shoes and they were grounded? Like how birds can sit on the telephone wire.

I wonder what can be done to fix this? I heard one time on the discovery channel that more ampes can even go thru shoes and things from a small distance. Is that true? Im trying to think of a way to boost my power. I hooked my fence to 120 voltage but I know my house has 220 because my dryer runs on it. but the outlet for that has 4 wires and I dont know which wires to hook up to my fence? If someone can help me with the wire colors to run to the fence Ill try that. Will that be enough power? Or should i run more wires from my fuse box? thanks

teslatower said:
I have built an electronic fence .....

They both grabbed the top pole to get over the fence and they didnt get electrocuted. ...

I wonder what can be done to fix this? ...

how about disconnecting it before someone gets hurt or killed, and you end up in jail.

Seriously.....

zevon8 said:
how about disconnecting it before someone gets hurt or killed, and you end up in jail.

Have you ever been to a farm that had cows or something, or had a friend with a unruly dog? I never once saw anyone get hurt. and those people must somehow be using much more power that i am because i got shocked a few times... nothing serious tho. that's the kind of power I need.

HOLY SH**!!!! DISONNECT THAT THING NOW!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE!

Thank god someone barefoot didnt touch that thing or he very possibly could have been killed.

A REAL electric fence is not plugged directly into mains. It's voltage is stepped up to a couple thousand volts so that it will penetrate shoes and what not. The device puts out EXTREMELY low amperage: milliamps. Or .01 amps.

Your electric fence is capable of putting out AMPS of current, more than enough to kill somebody. 10 milliamps across the heart can kill someone. Your system will probably put a couple of amps across the heart!!

If you want to build one of these we will help you but what you are doing is just plain irresponsible and stupid! no offense.

Eh Tesla,
don't even think of using a mains supply for an electric fence cause if it does work you'll be up on murder or manslaughter charges before you know it. Check thru this forum as there's a thread already on electric fences. What you need is a 12 volt system with a step up transformer to develop atleast 3-4 Kilowatts of charge BUT DON'T FLOW ANY AMPS THRU THE WIRE thats what kills voltage only gives you a boot.

Think about what your doing and with a bit of thought you can have a neat system that won't be illegial

Cheers Bryan :D

That is crazy you are going to kill someone hopefully you have not already if someone trys to pee on it or is wet and touches it well lets just say there is no internet in prison. Carefully take this thing apart and use a 12 volt system as metioned before.

Thanks zach and bryan. Disconnected for now. I called the farmer's supply store and told em i needed to power 12 volts from what you called mains. They told me i needed whats called a 10 2 1 transformer. and their getting it together for me now. Of course i also asked for one of bryans stepping up things to go up to a couple thousand volts. Well they didn't have one but they said i could do it with 3 stepubs, and they'd even connect them for me. I figured that 4 does an even better job. So off I goto pick this contraption up! cant wait to hook it up. Funny thing was they asked me if i was making hydrogin. What the h*ck would i need hydrogin for?

Eh Tesla,
Over here in OZ a brand of fence controller which is the standard is a 'Daken'. Their not overly expensive and they can run of a backup battery and solar panel.

Just a thought Bryan :D

You are nuts

Pluging it to the mains

:lol:

I can't stop laughing
you are lucky that you or anyone else did not go there because it would be instant death.

Man that is funny
lol

You could of had fryed teenagers for dinner
and the police at your door all in one day.
You better thank your self for it not working because alot could of happend
that day.

High voltage is for experienced people only, beginners stay away.

Better thank god for that one

It wouldn't be funny if you took a leak on the fence robotic hahahaha
I'm thinking of wiring up my shed with my fence controller to give any 2 bit crook a pleasant surprise when I'm working away. I'll set it up at the family jewels height and when it's dark no-one will see it and where I live no-one will here their screams apart from me missus who'll just ring the cops.
Just my bit of :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

that was a close one teslatower :lol:

you might consider putting up "electrified fence" signs on the fence. Im not sure of the liability in this matter, but even this high voltage low amperage system has the possibility to kill somebody with a heart problem.

the parents of the kids might even try to sue you! even if nobody gets seriously injured. Remember, everybody is sue-happy :lol:

i would advise you to look into the legal part of this before you run it . . . just to make sure 8)

Have you every asked the kids not to cross your property? If you have and they didn't listen, ive gotta admit it would be very satisfying to watch the kids jump out of their skin when they get shocked :twisted:

OK here's the circuit I used for the fence controller. I do have a second kit but I might beef up the stepup trnsformer to give me 10 kw instead of 3.6 kw that should provide a good scream.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Bryan :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Attachments

• electricfence_584.jpg
    electricfence_584.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,922
teslatower said:
Thanks zach and bryan. Disconnected for now. I called the farmer's supply store and told em i needed to power 12 volts from what you called mains. They told me i needed whats called a 10 2 1 transformer. and their getting it together for me now. Of course i also asked for one of bryans stepping up things to go up to a couple thousand volts. Well they didn't have one but they said i could do it with 3 stepubs, and they'd even connect them for me. I figured that 4 does an even better job. So off I goto pick this contraption up! cant wait to hook it up. Funny thing was they asked me if i was making hydrogin. What the h*ck would i need hydrogin for?

I think you've still got some dangerous misconceptions here. Doing a bunch of stepup transformers will only get you higher voltage still and will potentially become even more dangerous.

I wonder if I should bring up the possible mental health issues in wanting to surround your home with an electric fence. I am not really qualified to evaluate this possibility, however, this may be something you want to look into.

You need a real fence controller, which might take 12v DC power or might not. Some are solar powered. You are not going to put 12v on the wire itself though. Just get a fence controller and it should take care of what you need to do safely- we hope. The transformer, if necessary, may or may not be 12v but will probably be included with it. You don't need any of the things they're "getting together for you" right now.

It's not just that they are very limited in the current they put out, but often only put out little pulses, like once a sec or a few times a sec. It's still painful but gives the person's muscles a chance to get off of it. Also saves power for those solar battery ones.

The mains connection was not only phenomenally dangerous to people directly, but also an extreme fire hazard.

Dont worry Oznog! I took most all of the suggestions mentioned here and now Im back from the store and everythings assembled and safe.

first I have the transformer I asked for and one end said 120VAC IN which is where I hooked it up to my house. The other side says 12VAC OUT. this no doubt means i'm down to 12 volts. Very safe!!!! no? Oh, and the electronic guy at the store told me I really should put it behind a fuse. So thatss just what i did, I moved it to the other side of the panel, across from a 20 amp fuse. Just 20 ampes instead of the 300+ that I had before! Any more than 20 ampes and the fuse will blow, protecting any criminal from what you people would call certain death. And no fire hazard. Again, very safe!

ok, then from the low volt wire labeled 12VAC I connect it to the little assembly they connected up. 4 of these step things in there which they say are 4.5 rated and now I guess I have 4,920 volts. I think that should give much better of a shock. it sure seems to... my tester doesn't work anymore. plus I tossed a green branch against the pole and you should have seen it!

I asked for stepups, and they said each one increased it 4.5 so I am assuming that was volts multiplied for each box. The 20 ampes fuse is for safety and fire protection and is located in my fusebox.

1 amp is enough to kill you
you still better be carefull.

I don't think you got it under 1 amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back