Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle: making small pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I have my grid set to .25mm and alt .125 mm.

When I do a change diameter and select a number smaller then .8 the diameter does not change.

However the if I do the same for width I can create small lines.

How can I make small pads ?

3v0 said:
I have my grid set to .25mm and alt .125 mm.

When I do a change diameter and select a number smaller then .8 the diameter does not change.

However the if I do the same for width I can create small lines.

How can I make small pads ?

are you trying to build a package in a library, or just draw raw pads on a layout?

the SMD tool accepts dimensions in [default] units (whatever you set your grid to) smd 0.04 x 0.04 would make a 40 x 40 mil pad (assuming the default unit is set to inches)

for through hole the size of the pad is determined by drill diameter and pad diameter ... set a nice and small drill like 0.0237 and then dial down the pad diameter as narrow as your fabrication resource will allow.

With your help I figured it out.
[LEFT said:
justDIY[/left]]are you trying to build a package in a library, or just draw raw pads on a layout?
Was attempting to layout an adaptor board to go from .5 mm to .1 inch spacing. The plan was to just drop the pads and connect them.

Did not think to change the drill size. Eagle is smart enough to not make pads without (or too little) copper but not smart enough to warn me that I was in error.

I will have to start dealing with SMD soon. I just got some SOIC parts. My vision is not good, I may be looking for a microscope. Sigh.

I bought a heavy duty magnifier off a popular online auction site, it's all steel with a steel mounting base. 22watt fluorescent bulb. works great for smd!

eagle will warn you when you're in error, sort of... check out the DRC button and all the options in there.

justDIY said:
I bought a heavy duty magnifier off a popular online auction site, it's all steel with a steel mounting base. 22watt fluorescent bulb. works great for smd!

eagle will warn you when you're in error, sort of... check out the DRC button and all the options in there.

The magnifier sounds great but I need something with more power. Low Resolution Retinas.

I use DRC. This was supposed to be one of the simple quickies, all I had on the board was the one pad. Did not enter my mind to use DRC. Not sure that it would have found anything since the editor did not allow me to make the small pad. It seems that pad size is limited by the drill and the restring. Not sure but it works now.

Sorry 3v0, didn't realize you were making lib parts!

I think I got the same magnifier as JustDIY. It helps, but with the 0805 parts, I need a second (hand held) magnifier just to read the values! I can solder under the desk magnifier, though, don't need to read when doing that. Getting old disgusts me; both the loss of ocular focus, and recovery time after the gym!

I'm also waiting for some more SMT parts, and I've mistakenly ordered some 0805 resistors and caps, rather than the 1206s which are easy to work. Shoot! Oh well.

The whole reason I'm trying this is your fault, 3v0 - if you hadn't gotten me onto the processes I'm using now, my boards wouldn't be as good, and I'd have never tried.

BeeBop said:
...The whole reason I'm trying this is your fault, 3v0 - if you hadn't gotten me onto the processes I'm using now, my boards wouldn't be as good, and I'd have never tried...
About feel out of my chair, good one.

When I made my first board it looked like the diagonal lines had fuzzy edges. When I looked at them under the magnafier it tured out they were quite sharp. What I was seeing were artifacts (step) generated by Eaglecads print driver.

I was going to layout an adaptor board similar to **broken link removed**. On the .1 inch side I will be using a 2x8 instead of the 1x14.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back