Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle grid defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

earckens

I searched myself silly trying to find out how to set the grid default in "library", ".brd" and ".sch" to 0.05 inch and the alt to 0.005 inch.
I know it must be done in eagle.scr but that is as far as I got.
Help is much appreciated!
Thks
Erik

Hy earckens,

Open the schematic and left click on the grid icon top left (circled in red) to get a drop-down menu. Then just enter the grid spacing that you want: I always use 0.05 inches rather than the default 0.1 inches. You can also turn the grid on and off from the same drop-down menu.

spec

2016_10_25_iss01_ETO_EAGLE_GRID.png

Hi spec, yes I know that one but these are the default settings which are the ones I want to change.
Oh I see. I think there is a script file that you can change. I had a go at it once but could not make head nor tail of the scrips. If you find a simple answer I would like to know too.:)

spec

Last edited:
earckens,

I think this is the file that you need to modify with a standard plain text editor: C: /EAGLE> scr> eagle.scr

eadle.scr is divided into the various high level interfaces of EAGLE: schematic editor, component editor, layout editor, etc.

I had a go at editing it once but, as I said, could not get any sense out of the scripts.

spec

PS: You will find more infor here: http://ftp.cadsoft.de/faq.htm.en#06011304

Last edited:
That is what I am struggling with, and as I said, it is a real pain trying to find some proper examples of how I want it. Hoping someone can post an example with the default as I would like (post #1)..

That is what I am struggling with, and as I said, it is a real pain trying to find some proper examples of how I want it. Hoping someone can post an example with the default as I would like (post #1)..
oops, sorry earckens: I never could read.:banghead:

spec

PS: have you seen the info at the link in post #5 above? (QA #7)

Last edited:
Hi spec, I had not seen your thread, nor the link; but what is said in the link does not help me. Not "Deutsche grundligkeit"..

Hi again earckens, I hope I am not pointing out something that you already know but I have just made this change to eagle.sch

SCH:
# Grid Default;
Grid 0.05 On;

SCH: is the script sub group for the schematic editor

'Grid Default;' was the original script which I commented out with the #
I then and inserted 'Grid 0.05 On;'

This had the effect I was after:
Automatically set the grid from the default of 0.1 inch and off, to grid= 0.05 inch and on

spec

Hi spec, that is part of the solution I am looking for. Now how do you set the "alt" default?
And where do you specify inch or mm?

Hi spec, that is part of the solution I am looking for. Now how do you set the "alt" default?
And where do you specify inch or mm?
Oh, I got something right.:happy:

I am doing some HiFi things at the moment, but will investigate. I'm always a bit afeared of messing with scrips.:arghh:

spec

Check out this link. There is a good description of the eagle.scr file, including setting alt grid.

I need to do some housekeeping on my Eagle installation...like deleting all the libraries I don't use from the list and adding those I do.

I did find that too but I am not sure how to change my current "eagle.scr" to what I want it to do:

1. dimensions in inches
2. standard grid 0.05
3. alt grid 0.005

This for .sch, .brd., .lib

my current file in upload.

Attachments

• eagle.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 312
What do I need to do to get warnings when people respond to my messages? I used to get emails, until a few weeks ago all of a sudden I get nothing anymore :confused:

Just a guess: try this just to see if it works:

GRID 0.05 LINES ON ALT 0.07 LINES ON

The default grid is INCH and I am not sure that you can set GRID as fine as 0.005

spec

Spec, just tried your proposal. No change, still as before.

I open the eagle.scr file in notepad, and save with admin privileges as eagle.scr in ANSI coding (other options are: Unicode, Unicode Big Endian, UTF-8).

I just tried this: GRID LAST;

..that works when I open .sch, change the grid to other then default and close everything. After restart it is back to last setting.

Now this works for .sch, I assume it will for .brd (will test in a minute) but why not for .lbr?

Spec, I try yours now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back