Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drill bot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

so far i have done several robot projects which have been bells and whistles, but have helped me develop my coding skills, however today i am planning a robot that is more practical, essentially i want a robot that can drill a 1-2 inch hole in the flat side of a 2x4, then be able to crawl through it.
this bot will have access to mains for power and will be crawling through narrow spaces, so far i have been looking at basic forms and these have stood out for me, since i not only need to think about locomotion, but also it securing itself while working:
here is an idea of what shapes i think would work best:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/05/13880_web.jpg

whatta you guys think? is this feasible, what would you guys do? my problem mostly hangs with the mechanics behind the legs

Of the four options you present, only #3 appeals to me. How will it be used? Is it for drilling holes in studs within walls for stringing wiring?

As for the drilling function, I have used self-feeding spade drills in smaller sizes, and they worked well, particularly in positions where I could not apply much pressure. In your application, perhaps a modified hole saw with a self-feeding pilot bit would work. The problem I foresee with larger drills/saws is that the feed "thread" may strip out. As an alternative, you could drill a pilot hole, then insert a harpoon/molly bolt type of thing, and pull the hole saw through.

John

the OP said:
essentially i want a robot that can drill a 1-2 inch hole in the flat side of a 2x4, then be able to crawl through it.

This doesn't sound right.

A 2 x 4 has 6 flat sides
Hiw do you crawl through a solid?

A one inch hole is a real pain to drill at the footer.

Why not use these: **broken link removed**

There's a steering wheel positioner kind of thing that's used with these as well. Once you get the bit positioned and screwed in and you checked for nearby power cables, you then need a really powerful drill.

This guy **broken link removed** does it pretty effortlessly.

Drill specs have tables of bit size and material.

I think my bit is 1" and i have a 3/8" one as well.

Then there is a hole in the bit that you use to pull a string up with.

Works nice.

KISS I think he wants to have the robot drill holes in the wall studs with the sheet rock in place.

What he wants is a really tall order. A drill motor with the gearing to fit through a 1 inch hole. Then add the robot, I do not see it.

Last edited:
I saw a 3-D printer kit and the parts were laser cut from door skin plywood. The cuts looked to be about .005" wide. Very precision.
I don't know if it would cut through a 2X4. I guess you wouldn't want to burn the house down.

heh, I thought about laser cutting, it should be possible to monitor for fires, i figured my stopper was that a laser would be way too big to fit to a wall,

and was thinking about the hydraulics too since i will need it to stabalise drill as well, but those are a bit big too?

essentially KISS you are rite with the flex bit idea, which is what is used conventionally, and actually the hole size is max value since i figured i need room for bot tooo...

i am planning this for longer runs too, which also makes me wonder how we would check for power lines(or others) when its all the way inside the wall...

72" isn't long enough? https://www.techtoolsupply.com/Prod...e=CFL-AUG728&gclid=CNvHp-ue07oCFcGd4AodS0UAxg

Power lines use an operator camera. That's what I do. The last time I drilled, I had a power cable lying on the bottom
and since I don't do this often I really messed up in another spot.

Inner wall with return air ducts in two adjacent 2" x 4" spaces and an electrical outlet way close to the opposite wall) to where I drilled, One hole ended up being a blank plate. It won't get repaired properly until the room gets painted.

I'll know better next time.

Fishing isn't my forte', especially without help. My father was very good at it or should I say we were very good at it.

There is a lot of torque to drill a 1" hole. So what do you hold on to as a bot?

Instead of drill, think about routing a hole with a smaller cutter/cutters. That might be doable. I don't think using a single drill bit would be.

What do you do about encountering wall insulation?

ya, alot of limts, i guess it will just stay dream!

also i like the idea of the lazer beams, just out of curiosity if i got a laser could i feed the beam in to optical cable, does it work that way?

Optical fibers can be used, but I don't know what sort of problems there might be and cost.

John

ask dad how he did it in the barn in devon, i cant remember all the details but he had a 40' long wall to get some cables through. IIRC he got some drain rod cleaner things and made an attachment for the drill chuck, it was just kind of a thread that fitted the rods one end and a thread that fitted the drill chuck the other or maybe i got it wrong????
anyway it was drain cleaning pipes a drill chuck and some metal round trunking stuff and he drilled from one end to the other took about 6 hours

forgot to mention wasnt normal drill bit was one them AUGER?? bits?

In the 90's there was a weapon that could swin around in the sea for ages, then attach itself to a ship, drill a hole in it and blow it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back