Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know where can i get this transformer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me where the two high voltage transistors are . . . . . . . . .

Why would you want two?.

Haven't you looked at the pictures?, the secondary has only a rectifier and an electrolytic, the primary has at least one IC and one transistor - so it's undoubtedly a switch-mode design, but that's clear from the design of the ferrite cored transformer anyway.

If you have enough of the circuit left to be able to follow the traces, check
1) do the mains input wires connect to the transformer before the rectifier diodes or
2) do they connect directly to the diodes first.

If the former then my money would be on the tranny being a normal 50/60Hz mains type. If the latter, then I'd go with SMPS.
Transformer size and weight would also give a clue, but we can't judge that very well. Much of what we see in the pics seems to be plastic moulding hiding the core.

If you have enough of the circuit left to be able to follow the traces, check
1) do the mains input wires connect to the transformer before the rectifier diodes or
2) do they connect directly to the diodes first.

If the former then my money would be on the tranny being a normal 50/60Hz mains type. If the latter, then I'd go with SMPS.
Transformer size and weight would also give a clue, but we can't judge that very well. Much of what we see in the pics seems to be plastic moulding hiding the core.
Hello buddy,
i checked what you said, mains supply was connected to a single Diode and a 25V,220uF electrolytic capacitor, and then to Transformer which has 4 outputs.
So i think it is SMPS :eek:

It's a switch-mode transformer, NOT a standard mains one.

As far as I'm aware they are custom made for every application, I've never seen generic ones for sale.

LOL Nigel.

We have blind people here :)

Maybe a Braille forum? Who knows :)

Cheers
tvtech

LOL Nigel.

We have blind people here :)

Maybe a Braille forum? Who knows :)

Cheers
tvtech

If that (in the pic) was a normal Linear transformer.......it would be waaaaay bigger than that posted.

SMPS for sure.

Jeez, why am I even debating/thinking about this.........bored I guess:eek:

TV Tech

So i think it is SMPS
I agree (finally, Nigel ;)), but I'm puzzled as to how a 25V rated electrolytic survived with the mains connected to it via a diode.

I agree (finally, Nigel ;)), but I'm puzzled as to how a 25V rated electrolytic survived with the mains connected to it via a diode.
there is also written 612V in small letters on that capacitors, i dont know which one to take

It really doesn't matter whether the transformer was switch mode or not. There is no way to repair it, so you need a whole new power supply. However, all you need is one with a 5 V regulated output, capable of 350 mA or more. There must be literally millions of those in New Delhi, so just look on the markets or ask friends for old phone chargers.

It really doesn't matter whether the transformer was switch mode or not. There is no way to repair it, so you need a whole new power supply. However, all you need is one with a 5 V regulated output, capable of 350 mA or more. There must be literally millions of those in New Delhi, so just look on the markets or ask friends for old phone chargers.
I dont want to repair it , i want to purchase these small transformers to make myself new phone charger.
But someone here said switch mode transformer are specially constructed on order, and are not available on general market

There are thousands of switch mode power supplies available on the general market. They are often called transformers. I called them transformers in my post.

In fact, they consist of many components, one of which is a transformer, which is the part that you posted a photograph of. Those transformers are made for one design of power supply, and they are not generally available. However, what you want is a power supply, although many people will call it a transformer, and they are available.

Which rather proves the fact that he's looking at the SECONDARY side, and NOT the primary.

As others have said, seeing as all he wants is a charger, then simply buy a new charger - they are available at ridiculously low cost, certainly a great deal cheaper than you could buy the parts for.

**broken link removed**

I think you just need to get one of those.
Dude , i wanted to redesign a new circuit , i had never seen a This small SMPS in a phone charger. If i wanted a cell phone charger why would i have come to this site eh !

Dude , i wanted to redesign a new circuit , i had never seen a This small SMPS in a phone charger. If i wanted a cell phone charger why would i have come to this site eh !

If you can't even recognise a SMPSU transformer, what chance do you have of designing a SMPSU? - it's not a trivial task, and you have the problem of sourcing the custom transformer.

i will learn to make it in coming days , leave that on me :-|
and yes sourcing transformer is a problem, lets see

i will learn to make it in coming days , leave that on me :-|
and yes sourcing transformer is a problem, lets see

So why not just re use the one you have? :confused:

And how did original charger get smashed up so bad any way?

Last edited:
So why not just re use the one you have? :confused:

And how did original charger get smashed up so bad any way?
because i want to study and build it, it will increase my knowledge . it got smashed because my brother smashed it with a cricket bat :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back