Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know where can i get this transformer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

I found this inside my phone charger. it uses 220V,50Hz and output is 5V,350mA
-What is the name of these type of Transformers ?
-are these transformer safe as that of metallic ones
-what is the difference b/w these plastic Transformers and metallic ones ?

It's a switch-mode transformer, NOT a standard mains one.

As far as I'm aware they are custom made for every application, I've never seen generic ones for sale.

It is NOT a switch-mode transformer. It is an ordinary 220v to 5v @50Hz or 60Hz, transformer.
You can find them thrown-out with old phones.

I go along with colin55,

many manufacturers of phones tend to switch over to iron powder transformer to save on cost and weight.

The build-up resembles an E-I core transformer very much.

You can find normal E-I core transformers (composed of insulated (enamelled) iron sheets) in many shapes and differerent ways to connect them to a PCB.

The sample image shows a transformer made for direct PCB mounting.

Boncuk

heres the rest of pics with full circuit , it is not SMPS i suppose

Last edited:
How can you tell when the rest of the circuit board is smashed off?.
Exactly. So why should it be a switched-mode type?

Exactly. So why should it be a switched-mode type?

Because it LOOKS like a switch-mode one :rolleyes:

Secondly - because almost all phone chargers are switch mode.

Thirdly - I've never seen a conventional transformer that looks like a switchmode one with a ferrite core, and I've seen a LOT of transformers.

A new xfmr will far outweigh the cost of the PSU it came out of. Add on the repair of the fractured PCB along with the other broken parts and you'll be much further ahead just buying a new PSU.

Jameco has a huge selection. BGMICRO, All Electronics, Hosfelt, Futurlec, Marlin P Jones, and Electronic Goldmine might have something, and at a more attractive price to boot.

A new xfmr will far outweigh the cost of the PSU it came out of. Add on the repair of the fractured PCB along with the other broken parts and you'll be much further ahead just buying a new PSU.

Jameco has a huge selection. BGMICRO, All Electronics, Hosfelt, Futurlec, Marlin P Jones, and Electronic Goldmine might have something, and at a more attractive price to boot.
what the heck are you talking about :p

what the heck are you talking about :p
Maybe India does not have electronic parts distributors with millions of parts like we have (but I think Farnell is there). I think in India they buy electronic parts at a "market". The market does not have detailed catalogs like we have.

It looks like a typical SMPS to me. It looks too complex for a simple iron core step down transformer power supply.

As far as the 5 volts at 350 ma output goes just find another 5 volt power supply that puts out 350 ma or higher and switch out the cords if necessary.

I doubt you will be out anything if you do a bit of dumpster diving in the right places! ;)

It's lacking one or two large high-voltage transistors. It looks like a normal transformer with voltage regulation.

Last edited:
Maybe India does not have electronic parts distributors with millions of parts like we have (but I think Farnell is there). I think in India they buy electronic parts at a "market". The market does not have detailed catalogs like we have.
You hit the nail right man ! 90% of the sellers are very less literate themselves. so i have to buy from net. they dont sell components that are not in popular demand

Having lost the will to live waiting for the first picture to download (how many giga bytes are they?) from what I saw there is not much of a core, so I vote a switch mode PSU.

JimB

IT is old phone charger for NOKIA N-72

You've obviously not looked very closely then - I suggest you try again

In particular notice which side is secondary, and which is primary.

Show me where the two high voltage transistors are . . . . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back