Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discussion/experiences with non OEM toner and ink jet cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
People that refill their cartridges are welcome too.

So, me first:

B&W Laser printer Toner

The HP toner for my B&W printer is like s $200.00 USD for 5000 pages. Never mind that a printed page is weird unit.
I always keep a spare on hand. The spare was one was from an ebay seller who is long gone bought say a year ago.
So, because I swapped the cartridge in troubleshooting, it was bad. Dropouts on the left 2" of the page. Cleaned the drum, but not agressively. Old cartridge worked fine. The new one was < $17.00 USD with shipping. It;s not going to make me change back ton OEM cartridges.

The printer had a serious problem - required baking the formatter bard for 8 minutes at 350 F.

Epson Inkjet cartridges

That was a disastrous experiment. What the Multifunction inkjet did was made me want to buy a laser printer (Duplex/network/flat paper path capable). Epson might make nice printers and when I got to a real person they liked my suggestion for their scanning software, but it was never implemented. The scanner wasn't duplex, but was muli-sheet. They just needed a suffix for their auto-generated file names.
e.g. DOCUMENT####SIDEF; SIDE Front or Back wasn't available. The printer duplexed, but the scanner did not.

So now there is a color MFC laser printer in the mix.

I have a Samsung multi function laser printer and the toner cartridges for that are AU$130 each and there are 4 of them. I too got some of ebay for AU$30 each and they work fine. Just checked and I can now get a set of 4 for AU$96 (edit now $86) instead of $520 for Samsung ones.

Mike.

KSS
What toner does your HP use? Probably a long shot, but I have a 61A for the HP4101mfp. The printer itself is like a tank (both in weight and sound), makes great copies, but is not wireless.

My routine laser printer is a Brother HL2270DW. I only use OEM cartridges (original small volume +3 high volume since I have owned it), and it has been long enough ago that I don't remember the pain from buying my last one. It uses TN-450, which are about $40 to $50 for OEM sealed on ebay. It's only fault is that the toner is not as "hard" as the HP toner. For color, I use a Canon PIXMA inkjet. No problems yet and very rarely used. I expect problems with cartridges because of that, but that will be more my fault than the printer's.

John

53x cartridge for a HP LJ P2015dn (duplex B&W, wired Network)
has done 37,000K pages
manual paper tray is Klutsy - Everytime it's opened, you feel like it's going to break, (It's a latch issue - plastic tab, friction)
Two services:
Pick-up rollers and cleaning
Bake Formatter board (last weekend)
I'd like to find an the upgraded - Delivery frame assembly RM1-1291-020; -000 is the original p/n and
the Cover, paper pick-up roller RC2-0420-000. The upgraded fuser, p/n
RM1-4247-020 should come with the new delivery frame assembly. Problem is, you can't be certain which part your getting.
The duplexer doesn't 100% work with the original part. More like 98% of the time.

I basically wanted networking, duplexing and a straight paper path (single sheet only) and PostScript.
Miss the lack of a display - I bought a bunch of LJ4/LJ4m+ for work and one other one, We also had an Apple Laserwriter NTX
one other one was bought, but I forget the model some years later. There was a LJIII in use too.

I have an Epson Artisan 800 Inkjet Uses T98 or T99 cartridges (forget which)
Can scan stack of single-sided sheets (scanner needs fixing) to legal size
Can FAX if it was connected and fixed.
prints on a CDs.
Has an SD slot and Pictbridge.
Used in wireless Ethernet mode.
So, the hardest part was scanning two-sided pages automagically.
Ink was too expensive.

Bought a HP Jet Pro M477fdw Color Laser Printer, but it's not out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back