Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discrete Cell Phone Ringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

George L.

Hello everyone,

got a really good idea for a joke/project...

Would it be possible to make a really small device to ring like a cell phone after it is set to on a timer. This way, at my high school, I could sneak it into someones bag or around their area, and during class, it will sound like their cell phone rang. The teacher will be distracted and go off on a crazy tangent and waist time in class. (Happens all the time anyway :lol: ).

Could I use 2 555IC or something simple to replicate the simple ringing sound of a cell phone?

I would really appreciate some help.

thanks,

George L. 8)

(censored) idea. Is it smart to waist (waste) your teachers time?
Why are you there?

If you can make a couple of 555 ICs make the ringing sound of downloaded music like cell phones do, then you are a genius.

It could still be done with two little 8-pin devices (an 8-pin PIC and an 8-pin 24LC256 serial eeprom)...

As 'Guru suggests, put those energies to work on something constructive (grin)... And if you're interested, here's a link to Roman Black's PIC 1-bit Sound...

Regards, Mike

If you have an big serial EEPROM then its better to go 8 bit.The sound will be much better and its easyer beacaus serial EEPROMs output data in 8 bit chunks.

Microchip makes EEPROMs up to 1 Mbit.You can store quite a lot on that.

Hello,

I don't want to play crazy music, that is impossible with 555, you are right, I would be a genious :lol: .

I just want to make a simple one tone ring, like the nextel phones. (Br-Brr-Brr-Brrr...really fast)

One 555 makes the tone, other switches on and off fast.

Is this possible, and small enough to fit into a 1.5 cm cube?

I would solder the components directly together.

A couple of 555's are small and quiet.
What will power them?
What will produce the sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back