Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital display for magnetic field

Status
Not open for further replies.

PratapKollu

Dear Members
I designed a magnetic sensor for navigation purpose(2d-compass). The output of the sensor is in form of analog voltage . I want to add a digital display(for displaying corresponding magnetic field). The sensor output for zero magnetic field is zero volts, so now it must show zero Oersteds in digital display. One more example: if magnetic field is 1 Oe, output voltage is 10V, Now I want 1 Oe digital display instead of 10 V analog output.
If any one has idea about this module please do help me
Thanks and regards
Pratap

--------------------
PRATAP.KOLLU, Ph.D. Scholar
Division of Materials Science and Engineering,
Engineering building # 1
Chungnam National University(CNU),
220 Gung-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-764,South Korea.
Phone :+82-42-8216227, pratapkollu@yahoo.com

hi,
It is possible to buy off the shelf i/c's that have an inbuilt ADC, with inbuilt LCD drivers.
You would have to scale the input voltage from your sensor.

The LCD display I am referring to is a 4 1/2 digit device. ie; 19999

Is this resolution high enough to meet your requirement.?

EricG
Edit: Type ICL 7129 or MAX 1493

Last edited:
gramo said:
Are micro controllers an option for you?
I dont know how microcontrollers can do my job, if u have an idea for it please let me know. If possible I will try to implement.

thanks and regards
Pratap

ericgibbs said:
hi,
It is possible to buy off the shelf i/c's that have an inbuilt ADC, with inbuilt LCD drivers.
You would have to scale the input voltage from your sensor.

The LCD display I am referring to is a 4 1/2 digit device. ie; 19999

Is this resolution high enough to meet your requirement.?

EricG
Edit: Type ICL 7129 or MAX 1493

Thnx u for ur clear answer,
please let me know, if u have any idea of which shelf ic with inbuilt ADC and LCD drivers is good for my application

Hi,

These devices are 4 1/2 Analog to Digital Convertors with inbuilt LCD driver.
Type ICL 7129 or MAX 1493

As my earlier post the ICL 7129 can display 00000 thru 19999.

Hope this helps

EricG

Microcontrollers with LCD drivers built-in are sort of oddball parts. There are 100x more devices which don't use that feature. Rather, you get an LCD with an on-board controller which has a lot more versatility. You can display any sort of alphanumeric data (not just one 4 1/2 digit & "-") and you can get multiline or even graphical ones. Might cost $5-$50, electronic surplus catalogs always have quite a bundle of them. The microcontroller talks to the controller by just putting data on the pins, no special hardware feature is needed or even helpful.

Since you want to use this for "navigation", a more versatile LCD sounds appropriate! You can read the magnetic field in the X and Y directions and calculate heading from the ratio. You can also display the field strength and a letter heading (NW, SE, etc).

Oznog said:
Microcontrollers with LCD drivers built-in are sort of oddball parts. There are 100x more devices which don't use that feature. Rather, you get an LCD with an on-board controller which has a lot more versatility. You can display any sort of alphanumeric data (not just one 4 1/2 digit & "-") and you can get multiline or even graphical ones. Might cost $5-$50, electronic surplus catalogs always have quite a bundle of them. The microcontroller talks to the controller by just putting data on the pins, no special hardware feature is needed or even helpful.

Since you want to use this for "navigation", a more versatile LCD sounds appropriate! You can read the magnetic field in the X and Y directions and calculate heading from the ratio. You can also display the field strength and a letter heading (NW, SE, etc).

Dear Oznog
You got my work right, I developed a 2d compass for navigational purpose. You mentioned that "You can read the magnetic field in the X and Y directions and calculate heading from the ratio. You can also display the field strength and a letter heading (NW, SE, etc)."

Exactly this is what I want to display, How can I do it, can you please explain me detail.
I would be very thankful to you for your clarification

Thanks and Regards
Pratap
--------------------------------------
PRATAP.KOLLU, Ph.D. Scholar
Division of Materials Science and Engineering,
Engineering building # 1
Chungnam National University(CNU),
220 Gung-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-764,South Korea.
Phone :+82-42-8216227, pratapkollu@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back