Digital Clock on Breadboard (Circuit diagram Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosterzone

Hi.

Iam a student and I need some really serious help. I have been googling all day long but couldn't find a proper digital clock circuit diagram with 7 segment that I could implement on breadboard.

Basically I want to use Cathode 7 segment to design this. Any help will boost me a lot to finish this university project.

Do you want to use a clock IC?(IC has all the counters to display hours,minutes,and seconds)It may need drivers for the displays depending upon the displays.
Or do you want to use a microprocessor for the clock?

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

No i dont need Clock IC, I have to create my own IC with the help of counter, 7 segment IC, and timer.

Can you help?

You do as much as you can... Then post it here... Then we can help you...

CLOCK actually means very little. AM/PM , 24 Hr, 4 digits, 6 digits

It's basically Modulo 60 counters with some difficulties doing th 12:59 to 1:00 transition and less doing the 23:59 to 00:00 transition.

i made a counter with CD4026 once. This IC holds a counter and display driver.
With CD4017 (decade counter) you can make the divide-by-60 counter.
is this a direction to go?
examples:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

regards, bill

Do you call project just building something designed by somebody else? Is that for an university? Really?

The OP said done a search for digtal clock ......? I guess its the age we live in why learn when you can google. and then ETO....

Beginning to wonder if I'm on the right forum ... Actually a digital clock on vero board was one my first projects lots of TTL SN7474 , 7400 and 7447 decoders It cost £££ and I'm still building clocks 40 years on !

Hi.

I have 74160 counter ic 555 timer and cathode seven segment. Can any one P ase give me a circuit diagram to follow. It would help me a lot.

74160 and a 555 could be turned into a clock , but ott for a university student You really need to follow the links above... here is another
**broken link removed** not a clock but how to count / display in BCD , put pencil to paper and show us what you have .

Beginning to wonder if I'm on the right forum ... Actually a digital clock on vero board was one my first projects lots of TTL SN7474 , 7400 and 7447 decoders It cost £££ and I'm still building clocks 40 years on !

Sorry granddad, but maybe you should build one that works so you finally can move on to something else.

BTW, is there an actual "season" for spuds? Being a perennial plant I believe there isn't.

BTW, is there an actual "season" for spuds? Being a perennial plant I believe there isn't.
Way back when... My father ran a small shop leading out of Corby... There was a time in spring when oodles of coaches off spud picking ( made tons of money)... But It was only in the spring!!

a sundial would be far more accurate than a 555anddoes not slip10 30 minutes a month

the time base should be 1part per million error max or 1ppm in a XtalOsc for $1

how about an analog clock with LEDs?

1 secfrom /60
1m from next /60
1 hr from next /12
am/pm from next /2
multiply all these andthatbecomes your timebase
choose32kHz osc or similar to divide to timebase clock.

use Johnson counters (bunch) to drive LEDs directly using R's from each output so second+minute is twice as bright rather than separate LEDs. and hour +minute+second is 30mA. using 12V 300ohm driver from Johnson counters andR=620Ohms to Red LEDs or 560Ohms to Blue or White LEDs
Use smaller R's for minute and then smaller for hour for brighter indication. Choose >=50mA LEDs or increase R ratios. Temporary exceed suggested currents by 50% are ok for 1 sec, but not in direct sun. So further calc for R needed depending on selections of LEDs then buffers are needed for Johnson counters.

-choose SMT reelfor LEDs equally spaced in a circle cutting between LEDs to make arc andusing AWG 30 wire to solder to each isolated cut tracks on reelfor LEDs with a daisy-chained ground for each cathode (-) or use discrete >6000 mcd LEDs.

-cover front with tinted plastic or glass, so only the light is visible and not the wiring. frame with wood, or cosmetic material.

this primitive design will need at least a dozen chips but easy to figure out.use external DC jack for 12V power.

Make it big enough to be visible from outside (water tight) for a long a distance as needed. It can run from solar panel with 12V battery too.

Last edited:
I keep around maybe 10 or 15 alarm clocks that went out of use for varied resons, The last time I looked, there were many of them using the same IC generating a 1 (or 2) seconds pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…