Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting wireless cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
gary350, when you say that anything within 3 ft of the EMP will permanently die, does this also include living species, like humans??? Not familiar with EMP's!

Can you please tell me if this type of Software can do the job? Download OscilloMeter - Spectrum Analyzer 4.14 Free Trial : Real-time OscilloScope + Spectrum Analyzer. : My Music Tools

If so, what data should I be looking for in the Multi Meter?

Thanks

that's an audio analyzer/oscope, not RF.... you would need an RF spectrum analyzer

so, one of the problems i have with so-called EMP generators, is that real EMP has, as one of it's characteristics, a field strength risetime of a few nanoseconds. however, most of the "EMP generators" i see projects for on the web, use many turns of wire, and use wire of relatively high resistance. the RL time constants are measured in MILLIseconds. the thought everybody seems to have, is that when the switch closes, the caps dump huge amounts of current through the inductor, but they don't realize there's an RL time constant involved, and it takes a while for the current to ramp up, and so the field strength has a much slower risetime than a real EMP pulse has. the fast risetime of a real EMP is one of the characteristics that makes it cause so much damage. in order to get the fast risetime of EMP, would require an inductor that has a very low impedance at 200Mhz or so, and a DC resistance low enough to discharge the very large capacitors within a few microseconds. in addition the switch needs to be a very fast switch with a very low on resistance.

the picture is from a paper by the US Air Force officer that designed EMP simulators, and describes in somewhat simple terms, the characteristics of an EMP

Attachments

• emp-descr.jpg
    emp-descr.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
i saw one emp circuit with exploding thin wire in an electronic magazine . I think that has more energy since no oscillaton ,only 0.25 of the cycle , at max current , climax point. But has to replace every time that thin wire. Of cause other part of the wire should have less resistance. But still i dont think this is a good choise. Too much destruction can happen for sensitive devices like mosfets, switching power supply,

Last edited:
with real EMP there is oscillation across the whole spectrum from (almost) zero up to 200Mhz or so. this is caused by the huge mass of free electrons in the ionosphere (caused by interaction of X- and gamma rays with the air molecules) spiralling around the field lines of the earth's magnetic field. when the wire vaporizes, the metal vapor and the air around it become ionized, and the current flowing through the ionized region emits a pulse of electromagnetic energy with a wide spectrum. but this electromagnetic pulse still has the inverse square law limitation and is very localized (a few inches perhaps). the current through this arc is actually much higher than the current that it took to vaporize the wire, and it's this surge of energy that creates the pulse. the radiated energy still is only a few watts per square meter (in the square meter around the device) compare that to the estimated 10 Megawatts per sq meter of an actual HEMP detonation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back