Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvarblade

Hi i wanted to know in how many ways can we detect whether a person is carrying arms of any kind.One way that i came across on the internet had something to do with magnetic field variation.I know it will be concerned with radiation but just wanted to know if others ahve better ideas.

I think i didnt make myself clear.I was asking whether we could 'automatically' detect weapons not get a visual cause visuals are already present everywhere.

Last edited:
Metal detector, of course this won't work with stealth weapons, but nothing can detect them.

They already use metal detectors,don't they?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. And X-rays. Neither is foolproof. I have accidentally walked through airport security, and been searched with a metal detector *and* an X-ray, while I had a loaded firearm (which I didn't know about) and they didn't notice a thing.

The only foolproof way is a strip search. I accidentally smuggled a loaded 9mm Glock handgun from Finland to Denmark, in my carry-on luggage. I was living in Finland at the time and my wife owned the handgun, which we were going to drop off at her parents' home before flying to Denmark. If someone broke into our apartment while we were gone, we didn't want them to have access to the gun. So we stuck it in my bag, thinking to leave it behind before getting on the plane. We forgot.

The first morning in Denmark, I was looking for my toothbrush and instead found the handgun. Once I realized that I'd just walked onto a plane with a loaded Glock in my backpack I just about freaked out. Luckily we also managed to get it home again without incident.

There is no magical way to automatically detect a person carrying a weapon. I did not seem to act suspicious to security at the airport because I had no idea I was smuggling a firearm. Glocks are largely synthetic and have few metal parts, so they can often pass through X-ray scanners unseen.

If the X-ray won't reliably see it then the only real way to find it is a full search.

Torben

Thanks torben,if we try to extend the metal detecting in such a way so as to receive the signal on the other side then can we like detect metal right? But that wouldn't be good for the health since the radiation will have to be strong.?

Thanks torben,if we try to extend the metal detecting in such a way so as to receive the signal on the other side then can we like detect metal right? But that wouldn't be good for the health since the radiation will have to be strong.?

I wouldn't think that you'd want to subject live people to X-rays of that strength without a medical reason. That's a lot of energy to pump through someone's body.

They X-ray the bags, not the people. And even though they X-rayed my bag, they did not see the gun that was in it.

Torben

How about less parinoia and more personal action. :eek:
If they took all the pointless security out at the airport and everywhere else and people were just told "Stand up and act like you have a pair!" because if you dont this sycho nut case may very well kill you and a lot more innocent people if you dont take some action! I would not have a problem with that. :)

If I was on a plane or in some situation where some nutter was trying to take over a plane or some other device of potential mass harm I would have no hesitation in trying to stop him.
He may very well kill me in the end but first I am doing my best to take him with me before he has the chance to kill innocent others! :)

I dont fear these people. And I know I would be remembered as a hero for stopping him by any personal means required.
I consider it true antiterrorism. You cant put fear into someone that will not accept fear from you!

Terrorist have already won by the way. :mad:
We spend trillions one security measures to detect that one in 100 million nut case that is out there. As a society we live very restricked lives because of that irrational fear! :eek:
And how much time and money did the terrorists spend to get us to do that? Very little. :mad:

So now do you still think we are really winning the war on terror? :confused:

"i wanted to know in how many ways can we detect whether a person is carrying arms of any kind."

OP did not specify your scenario. He might not even mean human arms.

Last edited:
A man who has to support a wife and three kids is not so quick to be a hero.
If he is dead because of his inactions they are sh*t out of luck too!
If he acts and dies a hero they will be taken well care of!
If that nut distroys your city where you and your family live, did your not doing anything really help support them? Or anyone else for that matter?

If someone plans to do something very bad and you dont act you are as responsible as they are just by knowlegeable association.
He directly kills people and you let it happen. Your inaction let those people die!
If my family was killed and it was proven that because you willingly did not act to prevent it from happening I would hunt you down and make you wish you had done something.

The needs of the many outwheigh the needs of the few!
Selfishness and cowardlyness are not reasons to let others die! Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back