Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optimal and maximum RGB sensor detecting distances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floobert

Hello All.

Can anyone tell me, if I have either an RGB ambient light sensor or an RGB light sensitivity sensor inside a fairly deep project box, whats the maximum / optimal distance they perform at? Can they read colours from several centimetre's away or do they need to be literally right underneath them?

Depending on the answers I'll be having the appropriate sensor in a deep project box of about 6 to 8 cm's deep facing down onto a workbench, effectively blocking out all the outside light interference due to the side walls.

Thanks in advance.

Which sensor?
You can add a lens so the sensor only see a small area.
Sensor, black tube, simple lens.

Project box is what I'm going to use. Just thought someone would have an idea how much max distance these things would detect.

TCS34725 I have used this sensor on several projects. Here is a graph of how the part sees light from different angles.
Also; every time you double the distance you decrease the light to 1/4. (assuming no lens)
I can not guess how much light is coming from the object you want to see. You need to try it and see. Then probably turn up the light.
1622326975601.png

My first prototype looked like this. The white LEDs light the object. No lens, 1cm, lots of light, black background, works well.
1622327461317.png

Just found what I used. Very cheep security camera lens fits into the black plastic. Will easy see 10cm.
1622327617801.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back