Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non Contact Voltage Detecting Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

R44K

I am looking for an inexpensive relay that will be triggered by detecting a voltage in a cable. I am looking for something that will use the same tech as these very cheap voltage detecting pens,

For a specific cable? If so, what voltage and current are flowing there? And could you coil a few turns around a small former?

I am looking for an inexpensive relay that will be triggered by detecting a voltage in a cable. I am looking for something that will use the same tech as these very cheap voltage detecting pens,
Voltstick type devices work on capacitance from an AC voltage in a cable.

You cannot use that technique for DC.

DC current detection is a possibility, but for that you must be able to attach a sensor to just one of the power wires so there is a defined current flow through the sensor.
eg. if it's a two core cable with both wires in it, the current is equal and opposite in each wire and a current sensor reads zero.

You can get or make clip-on sensor, the wire or insulation does not need cutting, as long as you can get to just one of the wires.

If the cable is a 2 core flat cable something like this
1629049757698.png
or this1629049815100.pngthen the resultant magnetic field around the cable looks like this in cross section:
**broken link removed**

Whilst the overall magnetic field is neutral (shown in blue), the fields either side of the cable are strongly magnetic (bright pink). (Assuming a reasonable level of current flowing.)

A simple reed switch 1629050349774.pngpositioned on either side with the appropriate orientation will be activated, and that can then switch whatever relay or SCR you need.

Attachments

• 1629050324597.png
    1629050324597.png
    122 KB · Views: 195
A reed switch needs a field strength of anything from typically 10 to 100 Ampere-Turns to operate.

Also, that magnetic diagram appears to show current flowing the same way in each core rather than opposite, if the arrows are indications of field polarity??

The suggest techniques require current in the wire.
If you need to detect the voltage with no (or little) current flow, that will require a different technique.

What Kind of Voltages? AC, DC, 125 VAC 220 or what 5 volts DC? Oh, I see You want to detect 12 volts? What limits? anything over say 11 volts? Mabe get one of the "Auto Car Truck Voltage Circuit Tester 6V/12V/24V DC Hook Probe Test Light Pencil" on ebay.

Last edited:
Also, that magnetic diagram appears to show current flowing the same way in each core rather than opposite, if the arrows are indications of field polarity??
You were right, now corrected. (That's what comes from rushing to post having been called for dinner.)
A reed switch needs a field strength of anything from typically 10 to 100 Ampere-Turns to operate.
Close differential reed switches go lower; but that's why I kept asking about the current draw.
The application where I've used this was an e-bike where the initial current draw of the inductive load is much higher than the steady state draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back