Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design & Build 2 Digit, 7-segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to build a 555 timer in astable mode that produces a pulse onece each second. These pulses are counted (decimal) and displayed on a 2-digit, 7-segment when the display show 99, it should start over at 00.
Thank you for your time.
:)

Best bet is to rig two counter chips or one dual counter to seven segment decoders. Then connect the seven seg decoder to the appropriate pins on the display. If you need to generate the clock signal, use an op amp resonator square wave. You can adjust the frequecny changing the RC values of the resonator.

Good luck.

I should be able to help you, but I need a little time to do the research and draw up the schematics ok? :wink: I know most of the stuff, but I need to know just a bit more. :lol: Shouldn't take longer then... a week at the very most. Now I can't say that I WILL get it, but there's about an 80% chance. I'll start the research now. :wink: Wish me luck!

Edit: Correction, I SHOULD have it by tomorrow. :wink:

Alright, this is what I’ve come up with. They’re not schematics, but I think it will work real well. :wink: First, go here: http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/misc/012/ Then, follow the notes to build two of these. Now download the 555 timer calculator located here: **broken link removed** (You may have to download the VB 4 files at the bottom of the page also.) to figure the values of Ra, Rb and C. You probably won’t be able to get 1 second exactly, but I think I found the closest you can get: Ra = 486K, Rb = 85K, C = 2.2uF. Then just connect pin 3 of the 555 timer to pin 14 (“Count in”) of the 74LS90 and you should be set! Please let me know if there’s a problem or if… anything. And anyone else, same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back