Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoding a JK Flip Flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathshead

can i decode a jk flip flop w/ a BCD to 7 segment display? I need it to display segments "b" and C" , or the number one. How can i do this or do i need 2 ff's

BCD-7seg or 7seg?

Your question is a bit confusing. Are you using a BCD - 7 Segment decoder/driver chip in front of the display, or are you trying to interface directly to a 7 segment display? If it's the later case, use the Q/ output to drive both the "b" and "c" segments for a common-anode display (use the Q output for common-cathode displays). Put a 270/330 current-limiting resistor in series with the output (lower values are ok if you're always driving the same two segments from one output). Btw, half-digit ("b" & "c" segments only) displays are available cheap on the surplus market.

Hi Deathshead,

If you just want the flip-flop to display a 'one'
or nothing, then yes, you can just drive the two
segments from the flip-flop.

If the seven segment has other things to do also
then use a couple of diodes from the flip-flop
to the two segments, to prevent any back-feed.

If you want to display both a zero or a one,
then you would need to use a few diodes to feed
the appropriate segments, and use both sides of
the flip-flop, one side for zero, other for one.

Regards, John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back