Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crane-----more like a tower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Goodwin said:
Like I said above, 6502 single board computers, using assembler.

Sorry about that, its that theses crane plans were from before I was born, didn't take long to find with Google, and getting a little concerned about how this man made it this far in school...

It's amazing that many of the Meccano supermodels were build by teens in the 1930s
Meccano was great for crane building.
**broken link removed**

sir how ashould i tell ou ,i'm doing a microcontroller based crane so i want to make use of the 3 basic movements (lifting/unloading,forward/reverse of the container,forward/reverse of the crane)of the crane which will be automatic as it would be controlled by the microcontroller.so i dont need a perfect model of the crane but i just need a simple structure that will satisfy the basic movements so that while demonstration of my project i can show those basic movemnts being controlled by microcontroller itself?
so what do you think would it possible to achieve this ?where can i face the problems in the project?
I want to show the container being lifted then container pulled back and then dropped down .then the crane moves forward a little bit lifts second container and then pulls it back and then drops it again and then the third container .........

Sir, first you need to design the structure. Need to know size, range of motions, distances, and so forth. Next, you select motors and sensors that will move the crane, lift your load. Sensors will limit travel and give the microcontroller positional feedback. Finally, the fun part of programming the chip to perform your demo.

As state earlier, I wasn't suggesting that you buy the kits, or build the exact models. They are examples you can use to derive your own model based on materials you have availiable, fabrication skills, and your actual needs.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=6556

Found this sight while searching, seems like a similar project. May be of some help... :)

Sir,
i'm a student of Final Year ENGG Diploma in Electronics & Telecommunication Engg and i m looking ahead to build a project using a microprocessor or a microcontroller (typically 89C51,8051 or else will do) costing max 125 USD as a part of my curriculum.
My Project Ideas Are:
(1) Automatic targeted system.
in this the concept is to detect the enemy interference ,track it and beep the alarm all using a microcontroller.
(2) Ice protection system on flight.
my concept is that at high altitudes ice accumulates over the wings and may cause failure, so to design a project for detecting ice accumulation and then blow it up using a blower(i read somewhere) all this may be done during the flight(i know its impossible to demonstrate) or on the ground when the plane is at halt(can be demonstrated),ofcourse using a microcontroller.
(3) Ground proximity warning system.
concept: till the airplane is at a height of 10cms from the ground level (scale :1cm=100ft )i.e reference for the sensor will be 10cms and the system will remain off for this condition once the plane goes below the reference the sensor will detect this condition and then it will illuminate the PULL-UP indicator if possible along with a simple beep,all using a microcontroller.

(sir i have two more project ideas but i'm not clear about their concept,i will mail you those later).
The Main Problem Is That The Above Projects Which I Have Mentioned ,To Be Frank ,I Dont Even Know Whether They Can Be Constructed Using A Microcontroller In A Budget Of 125USD.
Sir , I'm Desperately In Need Of Help So Can You Provide Anything Realted To These Projects BLOCK DIAGRAMS,CIRCUIT DIAGRAMS,OR WEBSITES.
sir pls help me out.
Sir, you gave up on that design for your final year project. I'm going out on a limb but how did you get to your final year? You appear to have very little practical knowledge about any of the designs you wish to tackle.
What University do you attend, I'd like to apply for a diploma there... I've got a spare couple of weeks.

I will submit this as my final project.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
sir i came up with an idea of the Pie-type section or TT section for my structure as it would be easier than any other section as far as i think.....
now i want that the the horizontal bar of the TT section should be having more length than the height of the vertical bar,so that when the winch will move over the horizontal bar i can cover up maximum X-axis area and for Y-axis i think i should attach wheels to the base of the vertical bar in such a way that the horizontal beam(x-axis) is perpendicular to the motion of the wheels connected at the base of the crane. IMAGINE the " + " sign where the horizontal bar is one with the help of which i 'll move my container left/right and the vertical bar is the upright bar from the ground to which the base wheels are attached resulting in forward/reverse motion of the crane.
(on the horizontal bar ,a pulley with motor will be mounted to hoist/lower the container) do you think the structure is good enough to hold the wight of the motors ,etc.

two such TT sections will be placed infront of each other (parallel to one another ) the space between them will povide the container to move through this space. do you think there will be wiring problems of the motors i mean they wont get mingled na ?

You want to controll 3 axies, you do need 3 motors as the crane does. The very common answers in those cranes is to give you 2 possible speed solutions of the travell/control. The "slow" one does give you the accuracy you need, the "fast" one gives you the efficiency you desire, and - you are the person who makes the choice (the operator). The crane design is pretty much a closed subject, it has already been done

Please -do apply for a recognised course of the crane operators. IT IS IMPORTANT - you do not want your "load" swinging "back and forth"

Regards,
xanadunow

Last edited:
Please -do apply for a recognised course of the crane operators. IT IS IMPORTANT - you do not want your "load" swinging "back and forth"

Regards,
xanadunow

Yes, Ive had a bit to do with servicing control systems on cranes. 90% of the contol engineering goes into stability/saftey contol/monitoring, and operator training. Typically, this sort of project would be tackled by an application engineer useing PLCs, not from scratch with a PIC ;-). Although I understand the projects use in learning mutiaxis control and automation, a model built the way the OP seems to be heading, wouldnt bear much relavence to a real world crane application. Winding up a rope is the easy part ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back