Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

crane-----more like a tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremeads1

Motor

i need to move the object to & fro as well as i require up and down motion for the object can this type of motion be achieved using motors ? if posible how many motors are required for this action ? and can you provide any design for this .(basically i want to move container first to or fro and then up or down )

sir you must be knowing the liftcranes used on docks for loading/unloading the containers it moves to & fro as well as the wires aatached to it move up and down to pick or drop the object ............so is this possible to achieve using motors

extremeads1 said:
sir you must be knowing the liftcranes used on docks for loading/unloading the containers it moves to & fro as well as the wires aatached to it move up and down to pick or drop the object ............so is this possible to achieve using motors

You've now asked a completely different question! - of course you can use motors, that's how they work. I'll give you a clue! - think two railway tracks and a winch.

so sir as now you have got the idea what i was asking for ,so for this purpose how many motors do i require, is it that for the forward/reverse action i require one motor and for up/down action i require second motor .

extremeads1 said:
...so for this purpose how many motors do i require...

You can use as many motors as you want to, including just one, depending on your design.

friends , i want to build a crane -------more like a tower which are used on dockyards for loading and unloading the containers from the ship and placing them on the ground.
for this purpose i need to build an intelligent crane that is capable of lifting the object/release the object , decide the position of the object, where it need to be placed .

i will attach this assembly to the microcontroller so that lifting/unloading,deciding the position will be done by the controller,now the main thing is to construct this crane.

see, as i wish to the lift the object i need to first drop down the cable which'll lift the object so a motor to drop down the cable i.e DOWN MOTION is required,
then i need something that will "hold" the container firmly to the cable, i think electromagnet will be the best for this,so i need to wire this electro-magnet to the microcontroller to magnetise/demagnetise it, is this possible ?............................Q.1

ok.if it's possible and once it holds the container firmly,now i need to lift this container and for this purpose i should pull-up the cable so that container is indirectly lifted i.e UP MOTION is required the same motor used for DOWN MOTION can be used for this motion also, is this possible ? ..................Q.2

IF YES THIS IS THE FIRST MOTOR I"LL REQUIRE FOR UP/DOWN MOTION ,isnt'it?..........................................................Q.3

now i need to decide the position of the container where it is to be placed .

for this ,i think the best would be FORWARD/REVERSE MOTION of the trolley on the crane with the help of which i can move the container "back" and "forth" .i.e to decide the position either the container will be unloaded from the extreme outer end of the crane or from the extreme inner end .
NOW THIS IS THE SECOND MOTOR I'LL REQUIRE ,isnt it ?......................Q.4

BUT NOW THE ASSEMBLY ON WHICH I 'M USING THIS "up/down" and "forward/reverse" motion is static then the containers would be placed only in a particular space so now i need a 360 degree rotataion of the crane so that the container can be lifted/unloaded, placed ANYWHERE within the reach of the crane .....................understood .
FOR THIS A THIRD MOTOR IS REQUIRED ?.......................Q.5

Q.6 now my question is, can the wiring of electromagnet, for "holding "the container at the time of pulling the container upwards and then "releasing" the container from the electromagnet at the time when the container reaches down be POSSIBLE ?
Q.7 and can these three motors be connected to the microcontroller ( can this be possible that the 360 degree rotation be controlled by the USER and only the microcontroller controls "up/down' & "forward/reverse" motion so as to reduce the complexity )..........pls reply

Okay, sorry. I was just trying to get some idea about how big you are looking to build.

You will need one motor for each axis of motion, you seem to need three.

Each motor will need an H-Bridge to control forward and reverse.

There will need to positional feedback, so you know where along each axis you are, and determine how far you travel.

The electromagnet will need a high current driver. You can program it to attach/release anytime you want.

360 degree rotation? Wouldn't the power/control cables get tangle and mangled?

Mechanically, this is going to be a nightmare...

www.cnczone.com would be a good place to find information about motors, interfacing, positional feedback, and maybe a few other things that could be adapted to your project.

do you think the project will be successful if the mecahnical part works out and could it be possible to control all the movements of the crane by so programming the mirocontroller.........................i wish to make it automatic.

extremeads1 said:
do you think the project will be successful if the mecahnical part works out and could it be possible to control all the movements of the crane by so programming the mirocontroller.........................i wish to make it automatic.

Yes, it's simple to do - it was a common project for school children in the UK decades ago (long before IBM started making PC's).

sir did you read my first post so that you'll get an idea what i wish to do,controlling the motions is easy but the main thing is the mechanical assembly i want to build a small one but the real thing .

motions required:
1) up/down motion of the cable to lift/unload the container
2)forward/back motion of the trolley over the crane to move the container back/forth to decide the position
3)& left /right motion of the crane(motor wired at its base to cover up maximum area)
the problem i'm facing is that onec the container is lifted the up/down motor must apply brakes until the container is pulled back/foth or the crane moves left/right direction so that container will not drop down ?
so do you have any mechanical design for the crane so that the rest things will work out i decided to keep the motors on the ground so that structure will not get loaded ...................so you have any design for the crane.

so can you help with the design ...........if you have one,or can you suggest a compact design
i wish to place all the three motors on the ground so that the structure is not loaded and the problem is that one of the motors should appply brakes to hold the container in position once it is lifted ........so that it wont drop down.so do you have any idea for this whether the application of brakes can controlled by microcontroller as i wish to operate all the movements by the microcontroller ..................is this project possible sir ?

extremeads1 said:
so can you help with the design ...........if you have one,or can you suggest a compact design
i wish to place all the three motors on the ground so that the structure is not loaded and the problem is that one of the motors should appply brakes to hold the container in position once it is lifted ........so that it wont drop down.so do you have any idea for this whether the application of brakes can controlled by microcontroller as i wish to operate all the movements by the microcontroller ..................is this project possible sir ?

1) You seem to be posting essentially the same question in two threads (see: your post on the crane).
2) You are asking for a mechanical design and have not give any specifics, despite being asked, of what you need. How big are the items being moved? What speed? What resources do you have? A school project with a model made of wood is going to be considerably different than one for a shipping yard moving items weighing 50 ton or more.
3) You seem to have concluded that you need three motors, but have not give any rationale for that decision.
4) If I were designing such an item as you have described, I would probably not use three motors, but I would almost certainly use hydraulics.
5) Most motors run at fairly high speed relative to the speed at which a crane moves. If you use worm gear reduction (which is highly likely), they are typically self-braking. Or, at least the demands for braking are reduced.
6) Is this an exercise for you to practice English?

John

Like I said in your previous thread, it's just simply two railway tracks and a winch.

Mount the winch on a railway 'truck', fit a motor to drive the truck along these (short) rails (left/right movement). The rails for that are mounted on a larger 'truck' which runs on rails set at 90 degrees to the first, again fed by a motor (front/back movement).

Three motors - just go and look at a real one!.

sir first of all i'm sorry for the linking thread ,but i didnt do it purposely i first thought of the motors that wil be rquired and then i turned towards the design for the crane but the replies i got were matching from boh the threads and it was difficult for me to discontinue either of them ......i'm sorry.

sir, first i want to build the crane that would be used for
1) lifting/unloading the container
2) holding the container so that it wont drop down
3) positioning the container anywhere within the reach of the crane.
the containers would be small 5inch(length),2inch(width),3inch(height)made up of tin and they will be empty.

i want this project for the diploma-level as a part of my curriculum and hece i think hydraulics will be difficult.
once the crane model is designed i wish to control all the actions 1)2)&3)using a microcontroller ..........i wish to use this concept and to display it on a small version.
so everything rite from the crane structure and the containers will be small enough not too big as you may think !
i just want to put forward this concept of container lifting and placing it anywhere as desired within the crane's reach.
so .................................this is what i want now can you provide me some design for the crane.
and now as i said everthing will be small .......it means that the structure will be capable of atleast taking the load of motors that will be used so if i can position the motors on the groung thn the structure would not get loaded.

I still can't figure out what you want. A toy crane, a fullsized crane?

This is a shipyard crane, it uses very powerful motors and pullys to lift very heavy objects. A toy or model version could be built.

Here's a link for a Mechanno giant dragline crane, lots of pictures.
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back