Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cow feeder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric, Boncuk,

Thanks for your help - I've built the circuit today - seem to be having the same trouble as the yenka sim though - it will only do a 15 count irrespective of the switch position, thinking of doing what I did on the yenka sim and adding a pulse to the 4516D input when the button is pressed, going to see how that works tomorrow.

Alos had a bit of transistor trouble today - but think I've got that sussed now, will know more tomorrow morning after testing!

Again thank you so much for all the help on here - it is really appreciated.

Regards

Mark
e=mail = markgibsonm@aol.com

hi Mark,
Which Binary selector switch did you final buy.??
Its important, the circuit is drawn to suit a /1,/2,/4,/8 output with the common on the switch to 0V.

So when say position '1' is selected on the switch, only the pin#4 on the CD4516 is High [+v] and the other 3 pins, 12, 13, 3, are Low [0v]

Example 2: switch position #7, CD4516 pins 4,12,13 should be High [+v] and pin 3 Low [0v]

Use a voltmeter, select position #1 on the Binary switch and measure the voltages on the parallel input pins of the CD4516, lets know what you have.

Eric, Boncuk,

Thanks for your help - I've built the circuit today - seem to be having the same trouble as the yenka sim though - it will only do a 15 count irrespective of the switch position, thinking of doing what I did on the yenka sim and adding a pulse to the 4516D input when the button is pressed, going to see how that works tomorrow.

Alos had a bit of transistor trouble today - but think I've got that sussed now, will know more tomorrow morning after testing!

Again thank you so much for all the help on here - it is really appreciated.

Regards

Hi Mark,

I cut off the email address at the bottom. Beware of SPAM!

A BCD coding switch can in fact code 16 values which are zero to 15, where 15 equals 1111 (or 0000 if it encodes to ground). There is no error in your simulation.

If a higher value is desired you might compensate it by longer time cycles.

The suggested BCD switch is very large - not to say huge. There are smaller switches on the market which are labeled 0 through F (0-15) with a turn button already built in. I'll use one of those for the PCB design to keep the board small.

Boncuk

Last edited:
Eric,

I bought the one posted on here but its not arrived yet so I've just been selecting the count number by shorting a particular switch input to ground, I'll do some more testing on the circuit tomorrow.

Bonuk,

I need a selector switch that if it is PCB mounted to protrude through the box housing so the selection can be changed.

Regards

Mark

Eric,

I bought the one posted on here but its not arrived yet so I've just been selecting the count number by shorting a particular switch input to ground, I'll do some more testing on the circuit tomorrow.

Bonuk,

I need a selector switch that if it is PCB mounted to protrude through the box housing so the selection can be changed.

Regards

Mark

hi Mark,
I sent you a PM, if you get stuck, ship the pcb/switch and relay to me and I will debug it free of charge.

Eric

EDIT:
To confirm, this is the Bin Sw type you require.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Hi Mark,

before I go into designing a PCB for you I should know some details.

They are:

power supply on board yes/no
exact type of BCD switch you are going to use
type of switches (PCB mounted (brand and type) or front panel mounted with wires to connect to the PCB)
Relay to be used (I suggest to use a horizontally mounted PCB relay such as FINDER S40 - one changeover contact 10A)

Both, transformer and relay are lower than the BCD switch.

Regards

Boncuk

Hi bonuk thanks for the reply

The power supply is external and i will connect to the pcb via a soldered connection

The output from the relay should be a normally open contact again the output wires will be soldered to the board connecting to an external terminal block

The relay you suggested looks fine

Been thinking about the switch i think it would be better if it was not pcb mounted but connected by flying leads and soldered connections

The switch should be able to have a knob fastened onto the shaft to allow selection of feed sizes to be made

Happy to take advice on the actual manufacturer type of switch though

Regards

Mark

Hi bonuk thanks for the reply

The power supply is external and i will connect to the pcb via a soldered connection

The output from the relay should be a normally open contact again the output wires will be soldered to the board connecting to an external terminal block

The relay you suggested looks fine

Been thinking about the switch i think it would be better if it was not pcb mounted but connected by flying leads and soldered connections

The switch should be able to have a knob fastened onto the shaft to allow selection of feed sizes to be made

??? I don't understand what you mean by feed sizes. Do you want to short out the 500K pot responsible for pulse length? btw, there are two switches, one for Auto-feed and one for Manual feed. Should the manual switch be skipped?

Happy to take advice on the actual manufacturer type of switch though

Regards

Mark

Bonuk
Sorry for not being clear
The two switches are box mounted see rs type 350 276 one is to start the feed cycle and the other is the manual feed button which gives one pulse only I would like to retain functionality for both

The variable resistor allows me to set the time delays of the actual pulse length but once set won't be moved

The selector swithc 0-15 ( say) is set in position by the user once set the start button is pressed and that gives a number of pulses out depending on where the switch is set

Is this any clearer

Regards

Mark

Bonuk

... start the feed cycle and the other is the manual feed button which gives one pulse only I would like to retain functionality for both

The Manual switch is not a push button as per schematic. It is a latching switch like the Auto-feed switch. If it were a momentary switch the feed would only last as long as the switch is being activated.

The variable resistor allows me to set the time delays of the actual pulse length but once set won't be moved

The selector swithc 0-15 ( say) is set in position by the user once set the start button is pressed and that gives a number of pulses out depending on where the switch is set

Is this any clearer

Regards

Mark

The Manual switch is not a push button as per schematic. It is a latching switch like the Auto-feed switch. If it were a momentary switch the feed would only last as long as the switch is being activated.

hi Hans,
This was my intention, food is dispensed only for the duration the Manual switch is pressed, not latching.

The 1 to 16 portions, Auto switch is also not latching.

To both

both switches should be non latching when the auto button is pressed it just stsrts the auto cycle as for the manual button it should only provide one pulse duration of which is determined by how long you hold the button in for, however owing to how these feeders work it will only ever allow one portion of feed to be delivered

Regards

Mark

hi Hans,
This was my intention, food is dispensed only for the duration the Manual switch is pressed, not latching.

The 1 to 16 portions, Auto switch is also not latching.

Hi Eric,

sorry, my bad. :eek:

To avoid misinterpretation my momentary switches look like that.

Cheers

Hans

Attachments

• MOMENTARY.gif
    MOMENTARY.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 160
Hi Mark,

I have designed the BCKS (Lorlin) according to the data sheet.

Please print the pdf-image to scale and try out the footprint as soon as you have received the switch.

The outer diameter of the switch housing should be 26.2mm for proper pin distances.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• BCKS.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 136
Hi Eric,

sorry, my bad. :eek:

To avoid misinterpretation my momentary switches look like that.

Cheers

Hans
hi Hans,
Mark wants a panel mounted Selector Switch. Post #48
Eric

Last edited:
Hi Mark, hi Eric,

it's a bit late to tell me that.

The first PCB design is finished except for some cosmetic corrections.

Take a look please

Boncuk

Attachments

• COWFEEDER.gif
    COWFEEDER.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 155
That looks brilliant, i cant see the variable resistor or the 47 micro farad capacitor though? Also is that something connected across the relay output?

What physical size is the pcb ?

Regards

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back