Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cow feeder version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibby106141

All,

I have now fully installed my first cow feeder, it works well, however taking feedback from the farmers could you help me with a possible version 2 ?

Is there a way of providing a 12 volt pulsed output, say off 5 secs and on 5 secs, using 555 timers only? Powering a relay?

I have an abundance of 555 timers!!

I could then have say 5 pushbuttons numbered 1 to 5, on setting 1 the ciruict would be energised for 40 seconds giving out 4 enrergised states and therefore 4 feeds, setting two would double setting one and so on and so forth.

All 5 seperate 555 timer circuits could power the same transistor and relay output.

Farmers like switches better than dials, they have big fingers and poor eyesight!!

Looking forward to your responses

Regards

Mark

hi Mark,
Nice to hear you have finally got the Mark1 working [ no pun intended]

What you ask is possible, but unless you use mechanical interlocking push buttons, some logic will be required to remember the button pressed 1 thru 5.

EDIT:
So.
PB1: the circuit would be On for 5 Sec then Off for 5 Secs, repeated 4 times..

PB2: the circuit would be On for 5 Sec then Off for 5 Secs, repeated 8 times..

PB4 , 12 times............. etc

Is this correct.??

Last edited:
This would be so much simpler with a microcontroller. An 8 pin, 80 cent, uC would do this in it's sleep and would only need the buttons, relay and transistor to be complete.

Mike.

Getting too complex there for me Mike remember from farming stock myself!!

Eric what i was thinking of was using toggle switches so when a Feed number is selected it would just time out the value selected, then to select another setting that switch would be turned off, and the next toggle switch selected.

Yes your interpretation of what i was wanting is correct The first type of feeder is excellent or i think so but farmers are very very picky!!

Regards

Mark

hi,
Toggle switches will make it easier than push buttons.

Mike is correct a low cost micro would be easy to program, but I guess you want the 555 method.

Will the power supply and relays be the same as the Mk1 version.??

E

Yes a 12 v supply and the same relay config, yes think the 555 would be easier for me to build etc, and yes was thinking toggle switches just simple on, off

Mark

Yes a 12 v supply and the same relay config, yes think the 555 would be easier for me to build etc, and yes was thinking toggle switches just simple on, off

Mark

hi Mark,
Just finishing a circuit, will post tomorrow.OK

Thanks eric, like i say the first circuit does work, and it did everything i asked but my father can be quite stubborn! i had a few minor problems, turns out i had a dodgy joint on the switch which was causing it to do more pulses than required, but soon sorted it out.

hi Mark,

This the basic Mark2 version.

If you decide to build it, let me know and I will produce a schematic.

Perhaps, Boncuk aka Hans will do a PCB artwork for you.

E.

Last edited:
BTW, I'm happy to write the code for a micro but you would have to buy a programmer.

Mike.

BTW, I'm happy to write the code for a micro but you would have to buy a programmer.

Mike.

Hi Mark,
If Mike writes the program and you send me the PIC's I will program the PIC's for you and return them to you.

Eric

Last edited:
Eric,

Thanks for the circuit just a query could this not be done with just 555 timers I.e. use a time based system rather than a counting system? It doesn't have to be perfect you see and if the cut off time and pulse duration were set table with a pot I could just make minor adjustment to make it about right on the day for a first attempt I would probably just make the circuit on vero board

Regards

Mark

hi,
Using 555's.

Its not the way I would choose to do it.:rolleyes:

Eric ,

No i realise its a bit of a scrappy way, but just taking it further so i undertand it, the values of R3 are these controlling the time that the pulses operate and the 500 k pot controlling each pulse duration?

To switch the differing values in could i put the V plus to r3 and the Second reistor then through a switch back to the circuit.

I.e. have the 5 switches in parrallel, so only 1 is selected at and one time, and this would mean it could be operated with only 2 555 timers?

Not sure ive explained this well!

Regards

Mark

hi Mark,
Look at this selection circuit.

Eric,

Thanks thats what i meant!

I am struggling to understand the two parts of the circuit, the one you have just posted is the selection as in which setting, so if i selected the 4 position would it only give 4 output pulses?

What does the second part of the circuit do? The second 555?

Would there be any serious consequence of having more than one switch selected other than a possible odd number of pulses generated?

Regards

Mark

Just looked again does the first 555 give a solid, timed output, and this is fed into a second 555 which pulses?

Regards

Mark

Ahhhh just noticed the trace, that is correct then the first 555 gives a solid timebound output and the second 555 gives a adjustable pulse output which is controlling the relay,

Now just for the consequences of multiple selections i.e. more than one button pressed at a time

Ahhhh just noticed the trace, that is correct then the first 555 gives a solid timebound output and the second 555 gives a adjustable pulse output which is controlling the relay,

Now just for the consequences of multiple selections i.e. more than one button pressed at a time

If more than one select toggle switch is ON, the number of pulses will be less than the lowest setting, how many less will depend upon the number of switches are ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back