Countdown timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpennin

I need a circuit to control my stove/oven that will begin to countdown when the power is turned on. After 10 or fifteen minutes the power should cut off automatically and sound a buzzer and flash a light. The circuit should have a reset button that, when depressed, will allow the power to be switched on again and cause the time to reset. The intent would be to cause the stove/oven to automatically cut off unless there is positive attention every 10 minutes or so. I have elderly parents that forget to turn off their stove and I see this as a solution. ANY help?? I'm a mechanical and have a basic knowledge of electricity - enough know what I don't know.
Thank You

The timer part is trivial. You can just buy it. Harder is the fact that you will need a 240V 30A Double-Pole Contactor (big relay) to break the circuit to the range.

Last edited:
Why use a double pole relay if you can switch power using a triac?

Here's the data sheet of the BTA41 which can switch 40A (TOP3 package fully insulated).

Boncuk

Attachments

• BTA41.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
You could have a look at pneumatic timer switches, e.g. Search Results - Clipsal.com, possibly one with an indicator light.

The one I saw had a max current rating of 10A, so as the other guys have said, you'll need to find a relay or equivalent to connect to the switch/timer to be able to handle the desired current. For example, the 240 VAC (contact & coil) relays here would be suitable (if you have 240V mains - otherwise adjust accordingly) Your Search Results | element14 Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…