Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Countdown timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpennin

I need a circuit to control my stove/oven that will begin to countdown when the power is turned on. After 10 or fifteen minutes the power should cut off automatically and sound a buzzer and flash a light. The circuit should have a reset button that, when depressed, will allow the power to be switched on again and cause the time to reset. The intent would be to cause the stove/oven to automatically cut off unless there is positive attention every 10 minutes or so. I have elderly parents that forget to turn off their stove and I see this as a solution. ANY help?? I'm a mechanical and have a basic knowledge of electricity - enough know what I don't know.
Thank You

The timer part is trivial. You can just buy it. Harder is the fact that you will need a 240V 30A Double-Pole Contactor (big relay) to break the circuit to the range.

Last edited:
Why use a double pole relay if you can switch power using a triac?

Here's the data sheet of the BTA41 which can switch 40A (TOP3 package fully insulated).

Boncuk

Attachments

• BTA41.pdf
    102.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
You could have a look at pneumatic timer switches, e.g. Search Results - Clipsal.com, possibly one with an indicator light.

The one I saw had a max current rating of 10A, so as the other guys have said, you'll need to find a relay or equivalent to connect to the switch/timer to be able to handle the desired current. For example, the 240 VAC (contact & coil) relays here would be suitable (if you have 240V mains - otherwise adjust accordingly) Your Search Results | element14 Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back