Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting 12v unit to 240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

1mmort4l

Hi everyone, just thought i would ask a few of your pros if this is possible.

I want to buy a battery charger, but the charger is for US power points and is obviously 120v. I want to change it, so that I can use it in Australia where the power is 240v.

There is an Australian version that comes out, so obviously the manufacturer makes different units accordingly.

Firstly, can this be done?
If so, is it alot of effort to do?
I don't have a great deal of electronics experience, but have done very minor projects.

I actually have an Australian version i can borrow if necissary.
I can supply pictures or details also.

I appreciate the comments, and thanks for the help.

p.s. I know that i can get a unit to plug into, but i do not want the hassle of that on the job site. :)

hi,
Unplug the charger from the mains supply.
Remove the cover, check the mains transformer for a 2 *120Vac option.
This means that the primary mains winding has 4 terminals, which provide for a 240V supply, that is the 2, 120Vac windings in series or 120Vac, that is the two windings in parallel.

If the charger transformer has only 2 terminals and its marked 120Vac, then you need a replacement transformer or a 240/120Vac mains adaptor..

Do you follow.?

Hi Eric, thanks very much for the reply.

I don't actually follow, but thank you for explaining what may be involved.
I opened the borrowed unit that I have, but to be honest, I have no idea what what a "primary winding" looks like, or a transformer. (You probably just sighed to yourself.. :p )
I took some photos of the board, and I will post them up tomorrow. Possibly you may be able to have a quick look and see what you think.

Again, thankyou for the reply and Hopefully will have the pics up by tomorrow.

1mmort4l said:
Hi Eric, thanks very much for the reply.

I don't actually follow, but thank you for explaining what may be involved.
I opened the borrowed unit that I have, but to be honest, I have no idea what what a "primary winding" looks like, or a transformer. (You probably just sighed to yourself.. :p )
I took some photos of the board, and I will post them up tomorrow. Possibly you may be able to have a quick look and see what you think.

Again, thankyou for the reply and Hopefully will have the pics up by tomorrow.

hi,
On the pix, try to show any printing thats on the transformer and the wires from the mains switch/fuse.

1mmort4l said:
I have no idea what what a "primary winding" looks like, or a transformer.
The transformer is a large iron object with wires from the mains/fuse going to it and wires also likely going to the circuit board.

It's the area of the transformer with the mains wiring that's of interest.

What's the VA rating?

You can get small 50VA autotransformers that convert 120V to 240V and are the same size as wall warts pretty cheaply.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm having camera trouble at the moment, so i can't get any pics.

"Hero", I will check the VA rating if I can find it. Sounds simple... Is it?

Hi I have attached some pictures of typical transformers as used in chargers to give you an idea what you are looking for.

The information needed should be on a label on the transformer.

Attachments

• Trs_01.jpg
    Trs_01.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Trs_02.jpg
    Trs_02.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Trs_03.jpg
    Trs_03.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 239
Here are some links to typical auto transformers used to convert 240VAC to 120VAC.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back