Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert 0-5v pluses to +/-15v pulses

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, softwareguy,

If you wish to maintain the +/-15V swing, squarewave over a range of frequencies, you will require an OPA that can operate from dual supplies of about +/-18V.

Can I ask what type of OPA's are you testing that require a +/-15V test input.???

hi, softwareguy,

Can I ask what type of OPA's are you testing that require a +/-15V test input.???

I don't have the schematic with me right now. All I am trying to do is simulate an input to a controller in which one of its inputs uses zero-crossing detection to make frequency measurements. The real input when the controller is installed in the real system is sinusoid up to 2.5kHz and a varying amplitude up to +/- 30V. So, a simple square +/- 15V (or +/-12V etc) will work fine for software development and bench testing purposes. I have a separate microcontroller that I can use to generate 0-5V pulse trains of whatever frequency I wish. I am trying to take that ucontroller output to drive a circuit that will make +/-15V and feed that input to the controller that has the zero-crossing detection input.

See the attached block diagram.

I may be wrong, but it seems that there ought to be a very simple way to create that circuit (I just don't have enough specific expertise/experience to design it). The biggest limitation I have is that I only have a single unipolar DC power supply to use for this circuit between the controllers. So, it seemed some sort of voltage divider opamp circuit and a DC-DC converter IC (like the sample I provided in other posts) might work. :(:eek::rolleyes:

Attachments

• Drawing31_raster.jpg
    Drawing31_raster.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
You have all the pieces, now put them together.

The circuit you have on post #14 would work perfectly; just change the +15V on the comparator/op amp to +18V, and likewise change -15V to -18V. The reason for this is that these devices don't reach their rails perfectly and need a little overhead.

But this circuit violates the constraint of a single unipolar supply. So you need to somehow generate -18V from what you have. A "simple DC-DC converter" to the rescue. An example is the circuit which KMoffett offered in post #6.

Use the circuit in #6 to supply operating voltage o the circuit in #14.

Last edited:
Thanks, mneary!!:)

Is it possible to use a part such as

Digi-Key - 811-1594-5-ND (Manufacturer - NMV0515SC)

instead of building that circuit from discrete components (note that I don't have to reach a full +/-15, a +/- 11/12 will also work)?

Unfortunately, I don't understand the significance of an "NMA dc to dc converter" mentioned by ericgibbs (his quote below).

hi,
The NMV is the same family as the NMA, its a dc to dc converter.

It expects 5Vdc in and give an isolated +/-15Vdc out.

It would be OK to power the OPA I mentioned earlier,:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back