Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

computer Christmas lights

MrDEB

years ago I assembled a Compurterized Christmas light display but since sold the entire setup.
I recall the SSR or triac boards used an opti-isolator, couple resistors but instead of using a computer, I want to just use a PIC to drive the opti_isolator. Just started looking for leftover plans and parts but figure would ask first.

will lower the resistor R1 to 1k
after looking over my schematic I discovered how to redo the power supply and drew a simplified one channel circuit.
I have too many terminal blocks. here is a simplified schematic.

Attachments

• simplified schematic.jpg
    simplified schematic.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 182
Power supply? If that means the voltage regulator, it looks exactly the same to me.... except the output of the regulator has no connection to the 5+ net.

I should have labeled it. In the connection manager, I added the 5+v to the output of the 7805.
I hover over the connection and it is connected. Maybe draw a wire connection from the 5volts pad to the 7805 output and hopefully, it will work Thanks.

So points that aren't connected by lines and aren't shown as connected by net labels MIGHT be connected by magic? That's a recipe for disaster. It also means anybody looking at your schematics can't really know what's connected where.

Does the LED string work if you connect it directly to 12v?

Do you have the mosfet flipped around?

Have you verified the mosfet # matches the data sheet?

Yes is not an answer to question 2....or at least not a good answer.

Verify the connections, according to the orientation in the picture.

SmartSelect_20220924_124452_Dropbox.jpg

If you had it backwards, you probably fried it. The gate can only handle 10v.

Make sure your resistors are in the right place. The gate resistor must be much smaller than the resistor to ground. They form a voltage divider.

I am using a battery pack for the GATE and a 12v power supply for the DRAIN/ LED.
NEVER TRIED APPLYING 12V TO GATE to let the magic smoke out.
The ground from the battery pack and power supply are connected together.
I have an 11k resistor connected to GATE and SOURCE. A 1.5k TO THE GATE

If you had it backwards, you probably fried it. The gate can only handle 10v.
If you tried the mosfet both ways around, you had 12 volts on the gate.

If the circuit is truly as you say, either the mosfet is dead or it doesn't match the data sheet. Or physics doesn't work where you are.

Did you figure out the problem?

BEEN COMPARING TO DATA SHEET
Looking at the part markings it says IRF520
I wondering if the data sheet is wrong?
going to swap the Drain and Source connections around?

Try this, using a different mosfet and no resistors.

Where did you purchase the mosfets? Are you certain about the part number? The datasheet is not wrong.

Attachments

• Mosfet.jpg
    Mosfet.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 166
Typos in part numbers are unforgivable.

Latest threads

Back