Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cleaning aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadaelk

I repair power electronics. The traces on the pc boards are under-designed for the load and tend to overheat and burn the boards. The black residue from the fires is deposited all over the inside of the aluminum enclosure. Cleaning is a major pain. I do not have access to a sandblaster and soak the enclosure in paint-thinner and scrub with a wire brush.
Any suggestion for a better chemical to soften and remove the messy deposit
Thanks, E

I am sure you are aware that bare aluminum will be etched by both acids and bases. So, I would stay away from alkaline cleaners containing TSP or TSP-substitute. Paint removers that contain methylene chloride and methanol (e.g., some "Aircraft" paint removers) can also cause etching if they are old. If you use fresh remover, you can get away with it. Look for a warning against using on aluminum.

By "paint thinner" what do you mean? Do you mean mineral spirits or something like a lacquer thinner or synthetic enamel reducer? The latter two might be more effective. You might also consider VM&P naptha, Stoddard solvent, MEK, acetone, or xylene. My first two choices would be MEK or xylene. Both should be considerably cheaper than synthetic enamel reducer. The problem with acetone is it evaporates too quickly. Maybe with Winter coming to Canada, that won't be such a problem. :D Soot has a greasy character to it, that is why I am recommending cleaners that are a bit stronger than mineral spirits.

Awhile back, I got something caller "Piston Clean." It needs to be used as a hot soak, but it was pretty good at removing carbon from aluminum. It is a water-based detergent. An engine shop in your locale may have something similar.

John

Last edited:
jp:

Thanks for your suggestions! I had completely forgotten about the piston cleaner as my car hobby days are long gone. I will try all your suggestions. Acetone does not work though.

Winter coming to Canada is not allowed in beautiful Vancouver, BC. However, we do not tan here, we rust.

Cheers, E

Maybe look at solvents for firearms, carbon and copper are two things that people try to clean out of their guns and some guns have aluminium parts so it shouldn't be too hard to find one which is Al safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back