Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Contact Cleaning for Membrane Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUDIORASP

I inherited a microsoft 'boomerang'-shaped keyboard which suits my sore arms: Would someone point me to a safe process for cleaning the contacts please?

The problem is that there was a lot of sticky substance (soft drink?) inside. Twice I have dismantled and cleaned, with a soft, lint-free & clean cloth + warm water but the switches still do not always get the message through.

Thanks in advance.

On the underside of the rubberised key spring, is a small carbon disc... You need a small can of electrical cleaner and clean these small things as well as the pcb tracks..

Thank you Ian:- I was not sure whether or not such things would have attacked the 'rubberise'. Will give it the 'salts' and see.

Last edited:
Be careful with a boomerang shaped keyboard, as once you fix it the owner will want it back.

Its an old saying when you lend someone something.....Its a Boomerang.... meaning you want it returned.

I have used Methylated spirits to clean the same sort of contact pads in a hand held phone with good results.

Get all the water soluble residue with warm water then flush the water out with alcohol to remove the water and any alcohol soluble residue. Use compressed air to blow out most of the alcohol then rapid dry in a warm place to reduce oxidation.

Thank you, SAB! The secret is . . . . IF I do not throw it there is every chance it will not bring any grief and it won't have to 'come back'.. {;- [
Hmm m! I must give it a go then!

Tnx Kj6ead. QSL.
The hardest part is getting all the super-saturated sugar off the sheets of contact 'foundation'.
Probably either meth or rubbing alcohol will do the job!
Might just take it outside before getting too serious and if I get too vigorous I'll be back to my (semi)retired IBM clicker! 73

Tnx Kj6ead. QSL.
The hardest part is getting all the super-saturated sugar off the sheets of contact 'foundation'.
Probably either meth or rubbing alcohol will do the job!

Sugars are not very soluble in alcohol. That's why I recommend water first.

KJ is right. Lots of warm water. Followed by something like methanol to displace the water. Hang on the clothesline to dry for keyboards (not kidding). Put in a bag filled with rice.

KJ & K.I.S.S. - Points taken. In the last couple of months things have gone from frustrating to bad as winter really starts to bite; the sugar must be sucking in more moisture. I will dismantle it and bathe it in warm water, with agitation and a very soft cloth.
When it was last apart I spent a bit of time on the buttons with a damp micro fibre cloth which brightened things up; pleasing what a bit of H²O + elbow grease does.
Any idea what conducting material is used for the matrix?? I was concerned I may have removed some all-important surfactant.
Thank you for the encouragement.

The keys may be a conductive elastomer. There is usually lots of material there (usually black). Keypad repair kits for say remote controls, are available, **broken link removed**. I think www.laptopkeys.com has single key repair solutions for laptops.

If your concerned about a lubercant, I would use a bit of dialectric grease http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506555&CAWELAID=323881576

I always use Vaselene (petroleom jelly) on light bullb connectiions especially in the car, outside and in the bath, but I use it all the time and have for 50+ years. Just don't like getting stuck lamps out of a base. Works for me.

Some liquid laundry detergent, possibly a bathtub filled with water. Agitate continually, rinse well and dry throughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back