Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell-phone Recorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I do a lot of contract construction for small clients and I make many agreements on my cell phone. Does anyone have an interface (using the cell phone's headphone jack), that will let me hook up my tape recorder? I need to have BOTH sides of any given conversation. Any ideas?

If your recorder has an AUX jack, I would think the earphone jack could be connected directly without an interface. Unfortunately you will probably only get a recording from what would normally come through the ear piece. Another idea would be to use a ' phone pick-up'. It's a small device with a suction cup on the end. You just stick it onto the phone and plug it into the MIC jack on your recorder - they work pretty well and are less than $5.

Hi Gene,
Thanks for replying. I tried the suction-cup style of acoustic pickup but had two problems. First, my cell phone doesn't have a big enough smooth area for it to stick. Second, I get a very faint signal with a lot of noise. I think it has to do with the physical size of the speaker. The bigger the speaker, like in a regular phone, the better the sound is reproduced. Cell phones, like mine, have dinky little speakers. Just not enough sound pressure. What I need (I think) is a high-impedance mixer and amplifier in between the headset/mic unit and the phone. Something that can pick off the signals without interfering with them. Any more thoughts?

I did a web search for "cell phone recorder" and was blasted by tons of stuff. You may want to do the same since some is particular to the various models. Some are digital - self contained and are priced by minute capacity. One of the simplest (and cheapest) solutions is a small mic that fits in your ear. when you talk, it picks up and records both sides of the conversation to your recorder. If you already have a hands free kit, you might consider using the hands free unit (plugged into the recorder rather than the phone) while you use the phone as usual.

**broken link removed**

There are computer interfaced models that work with your computer instead of recorder. Lots to consider depending on your phone and budget.

Happy hunting.

By the way you might want to check out local laws 'cause I think in some countries/areas you have to inform the person that they're being recorded, for a verbal contract or what ever to be legally binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back