Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell Phone Charging - Interesting Find

Status
Not open for further replies.
even the smartest of smart chargers will eventually damage a battery ... I recharge my phone when it needs it, and usually remove it when it reports full

maybe the dude's phone battery was dying so quickly because he is a subject of wireless bugging, or maybe his fuel-gauge chip is dead or needs to be re calibrated.

biggest mistake is going to the OEM for a replacement ... talk about paying top dollar, shop around a bit and save 50-75%

The info in the article is anecdotal. Lithium batteries have a finite life, and will lose capacity steadily as they are charged/ discharged over that life(usually 2-3 years of steady phone use).
They are very dangerous if not properly charged,(charging over 1C,voltage over 4.2 or even discharged well below 3 volts) and can ignite and burn just like an incendiary device.
If people were damaging the batteries by over charging them you would be having FIRES!! not low capacity. The charging circuits in the phone protect/prevent the batteries from high/ low voltage/ high current.
With all the junk cell phones are asked to do now,(load on the battery) no wonder people preceive the batteries as no good.

I've had a battery last 3 years (in a city situation where toweres were nearby) because (regardless of how long I left it on the charger) whne it wasn't on the charger it was within a 1/4 mile or less of a tower, and so using a tiny amount of transmit power. In an issolatated situation, where perhaps the nearest tower might be 2 or 3 miles away you draining 3 times the current on a regular basis, the battery isn't going to last as long.. You'd be surprised how much just putting your cell phone in the wrong spot can drain your battery as opposed to an in the clear broadcasting position

A poorly designed battery in a poorly designed phone put in a poorly chosen position could literlaly kill itself, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back