Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Career choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindctrl

Hi all,

I've been finishing up my senior year of high school, and as part of that, I must start thinking about what I want to study in college. I was hoping you guys could help me out a little bit.

At first, I decided to study Computer Science with a Management Information Systems minor. Since I already am CCNA certified, I decided it would be a natural fit. However, I currently work as one of the Network Administrators for a medium size company (about 500 people) and I honestly can't really see myself doing this for a living.

I think I want to do design. I am very very very interested in electronics and I've obviously tinkered around with them quite a bit, so I would like to study that in college. I am thinking about an Electrical Engineering major. My brother is a civil engineer, and all my friends are going to be engineering type majors. I think I would enjoy it, but I don't know what it fully entails. Can anybody detail me in on this?

I think in full what I would like to learn is how to design, create, and program my own circuits, but at the same time be relatively flexible in what I can do (such as go from working for the power company or a hydroelectric dam, to working for my cousin's company (Xn Technologies, Autopatch) designing and researching A/V switching equipment.

I know that you people are experts on this kind of thing, so I was hoping for a little bit of guidance. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your replies!

--mindctrl

mindctrl said:
Hi all,

I've been finishing up my senior year of high school, and as part of that, I must start thinking about what I want to study in college. I was hoping you guys could help me out a little bit.

At first, I decided to study Computer Science with a Management Information Systems minor. Since I already am CCNA certified, I decided it would be a natural fit. However, I currently work as one of the Network Administrators for a medium size company (about 500 people) and I honestly can't really see myself doing this for a living.

I think I want to do design. I am very very very interested in electronics and I've obviously tinkered around with them quite a bit, so I would like to study that in college. I am thinking about an Electrical Engineering major. My brother is a civil engineer, and all my friends are going to be engineering type majors. I think I would enjoy it, but I don't know what it fully entails. Can anybody detail me in on this?

I think in full what I would like to learn is how to design, create, and program my own circuits, but at the same time be relatively flexible in what I can do (such as go from working for the power company or a hydroelectric dam, to working for my cousin's company (Xn Technologies, Autopatch) designing and researching A/V switching equipment.

I know that you people are experts on this kind of thing, so I was hoping for a little bit of guidance. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your replies!

--mindctrl

Based on what you mention as your interests as well as broad range (from power to A/V & design) I would absolutely recommend BSEE. You will get the necessary foundation to be successful at all of these things.

I also STRONGLY urge you attend an engineering college that offers an internship or co-op or similar that will allow you to get some real work related experience in your field (technical). If it takes you an extra year to do this, it is well worth it.

Also, during engineering school you will likely find (in the later years) more options to specialize in certain areas (first couple years may be mostly fundamental to EE). This will be an opportunity to choose a more specific path such as digital signal processing, power plant design, analog design, electronics design, control systems so on and so on.. at that time, you will have a much better understanding of what you like (or don't like)
and can fine-tune your career path.

When graduation approaches, keep this in mind.
1) go to grad school to further fine-tune your path (MBA, MSEE, CSEE etc..)
2) go get a real job! With a co-op under your belt, you'll already have a good start on your resume. As horrible as a real job sounds, you'll welcome the "break" :)
3) If you have your sights set on consulting and wish to someday take the PE, try and take the FE (fundamentals for EIT) exam right away! With all of your savy math & coursework fresh in your mind, you'll pass it easily. In otherwords, dont wait for 10 years having forgotten half the stuff..
3)

Electrical Engineering is a huge field. As long as you take a varied course load you should be fairly flexible in what you can do.

If you want some ideas about what Electrical/Electronics Engineering is like you can subscribe to EE Times, EDN or Electronics design. They are all free (you might have to inflate your credentials a bit to get the free subscription).

Personally I'd recommend EE over IT stuff any day. Do be prepared to work hard in any EE program - the classes arn't easy- but your skills will be that much more valueble.

If you're interested in Computer Science there are EE programs that have a combined EE/CS major.

EE

I'm in my 5th year as an EE at Maryland, College Park and have found it very rewarding. However, most I work with in electronics design labs are Computer Engineers. This sounds best for you. A good mix of programming and electronics. EE is less programming and more electromagnetic theory. This will be important if you plan to do RF design. I've found that most tend to shy away from it. Good Luck.

I'm now in my last semester of a BSEE at UMiami. It is, without question, the most rewarding experience of my life. It has also been the most difficult to complete (the last two are probably linked). If flexibility is your primary intent, go for EE. It just seems easier to pickup software skills on your own than to pickup electromagnetic field theory.

With all the benefits, know what you are getting into. Be prepared to work. At least in my case, all nighters are pretty common. Pulling a few in a row isn't unheard of either. Please note that this is not the healthiest practice, so you should try to make it as infrequent as possible. Don't let me scare you out of it though. If you really want to do this for a living, you'll find a way to pull through and you'll be stronger for the experience. You will meet some very interesting people, and hopefully get involved with some projects that will let you get your hands dirty.

This post is getting a little long, but here goes anyway.

Here's a few words of advise, just from personal experience
(Some of these I learned the hard way, but take with a grain of NaCl):
Math:
This subject is critical to engineering. Pay attention in class, and DO THE HOMEWORK. Some profs do not collect homework, so many students shrug it off. This WILL come back to bite you, usually about a year later. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be a mathematical wizard to graduate in engineering. But you need to be willing to really work at the subject.

Labs are your friends:
Many students fail to see the point in labs, and lab assignments. Don't be one of them. Labs are probably one of your best resources for clarification of the material. You really don't understand the circuit until you can breadboard it. Additionally, lab TAs have often been through exactly the same issues as you. Pump them for information. They can often clarify things the the professor either skimmed, skipped entirely, or gave a poor explanation of.

Talk to your professors:
I don't mean just in class either. Even if you think you understand the material, try to come up with at least one or two intelligent sounding questions. Go visit your prof during office hours and ask. Make conversation, find out what they are researching. You may just stumble into an opportunity to do some really cool stuff. At very least, it seems professors that see you making an effort are less likely to fail you.

Join up with people of similar interests, but don't just go for clubs specifically within your particular niche. You'll meet more people and hopefully avoid getting too narrow in your skills. Even though I'm an EE, it was still cool to learn to use a milling machine.

Get an internship or co-op. As others have pretty well covered the reasons for this, but I'll say it again anyway.

What you do in the next four years, very well might determine what you do for the next fourty. Just don't forget to have fun along the way.

Best of luck to you,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back