Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How many of you guys on this forum have a career that lets you work with Electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow thats a long time, why did you pick that subject unlesss you wanted to teach?

Physics, like Chemistry, is one of the toughest courses to take (and due to the extensive workload are the only two courses where you are offered on campus accomodation in year 3 at York Uni). Because of this graduates are in reasonable demand (even for unrelated jobs), because they have to be brighter and harder working to pass their courses :D

My daughter is a first year Chemistry student at York, and she says that if you want to find a 3rd year to ask a question you only need to look in the 3rd year labs or the Chemistry library - any time of day or night, it doesn't matter, there's always some third years to be found there.

I had a great time during my 34 years electronics career. I started with vacuum tubes.
I retired at 55 years old and now I am 64. I invested wisely and multiplied my savings.

wish i could afford to save :( medical cost me $1K+ per month ($170/wk + copays for my ailing wife)

dan

Here in Canada the government pays for medical expenses. When I was in the hospital one year ago and had a heart operation all I paid for was $14.00 for the telephone. Then I used their health club exercise class for 4 months at no cost to me. The cost for medicine is subsidized according to income so I don't pay much since I am retired.

Heath-care is also free in the UK too, like it should be, my dad spend months in hospital, the intravenous food supply he was on was over a grand a week (at 1990's prices) and he didn't pay a penny. I don't thing the Obama reforms go far enough.

Anyway, back on topic. I start my PAT testing course in a couple of weeks, it only lasts for four days and the exam is multiple choice which I hope won't be too hard. I still don't know what job I want, I suppose I'll just keep looking.

Anyway, back on topic. I start my PAT testing course in a couple of weeks, it only lasts for four days and the exam is multiple choice which I hope won't be too hard. I still don't know what job I want, I suppose I'll just keep looking.

Consider starting your own small business, based on PAT certification.:)

It should be absolutely simple to pass - it's not like it's a very difficult thing to do. Presumably a four day course is designed for people who have no electrical knowledge at all?.

As suggested, starting up yourself offering PAT testing may be the way to go, but every one and his dog have jumped on the bandwagon. Mostly it's councils who want PAT testing doing, and they only accept their appointed testers - if you check the H&S website their's no requirement for PAT testing and never has been.

Like my good friend, Ericgibbs, I started with ground RADAR, but the year was 1979. We also had a data acquisition computer that was in a case about 6' high and 8' long, and had a magnetic core memory. If you opened the door to the computer van while the radar was pointed at it, the radiation would corrupt the core memory. I was working for the US Army back then, and I ended up on a defense site near the Fulda gap, during the height of the Cold War. Then I worked for a company in Tucson, Az that made integrated power amplifiers. I was in the Test Engineering department, and we made all of our own test equipment, as there was nothing commercially available for the power we were working at. I obtained my BSEE during that time, and then moved to California to work in test engineering for a company making static RAM memories. After many years programming memory and VLSI testers, I decided I wanted to become a designer, so I pimped myself out as a designer, and landed a job with a team designing Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASIC) System on a Chip (SOC) and worked that for about 10 years. Finally, my job got sent to India, and I was unceremoniously shown the door. I haven't worked since last July.

For the most part, I've enjoyed my jobs, and I really love the business of creation. I have not enjoyed the management of the business, however. Engineers are under of pressure to produce alot of value, not so much by being creative, but by making large quantities of code or IP. It feels more like working in a factory than creating value through innovation. I've not yet had the opportunity to satisfy my need to create, despite my many years in the field. I envy those on this board who have had those opportunities. I would love to have worked on some of those projects.

I've had fantasies of working for myself. I know that won't be easy. I've wanted to be an engineering consultant that specialized in rapid prototyping and product improvement. To that end, I spent some of my dwindling resources on a FPGA development system, and will spend the next few weeks learning it forward and backwards. The hopefully, I can at some point contract with a firm to help prototype their products. Working from my own lab would be ideal! :)

I've spent the better part of the last two decades writing code or working on multi-million gate digital integrated circuits, on a highly abstract level, or course. I joined this site because I wanted to get back to basics: volts, amps, transistors, op-amps, etc. I've had some great discussions here on both theoretical and practical issues. My basic electronics knowledge is very rusty, but some of the discussions have helped me to refocus on it, and I've come out a little better. In the future, I might even find the time to do a thorough review of the theory and clean up my underused knowledge base.

Last edited:
Like my good friend, Ericgibbs, I started with ground RADAR, but the year was 1979. We also had a data acquisition computer that was in a case about 6' high and 8' long, and had a magnetic core memory. If you opened the door to the computer van while the radar was pointed at it, the radiation would corrupt the core memory. I was working for the US Army back then, and I ended up on a defense site near the Fulda gap, during the height of the Cold War. Then I worked for a company in Tucson, Az that made integrated power amplifiers. I was in the Test Engineering department, and we made all of our own test equipment, as there was nothing commercially available for the power we were working at. I obtained my BSEE during that time, and then moved to California to work in test engineering for a company making static RAM memories. After many years programming memory and VLSI testers, I decided I wanted to become a designer, so I pimped myself out as a designer, and landed a job with a team designing Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASIC) System on a Chip (SOC) and worked that for about 10 years. Finally, my job got sent to India, and I was unceremoniously shown the door. I haven't worked since last July.

For the most part, I've enjoyed my jobs, and I really love the business of creation. I have not enjoyed the management of the business, however. Engineers are under of pressure to produce alot of value, not so much by being creative, but by making large quantities of code or IP. It feels more like working in a factory than creating value through innovation. I've not yet had the opportunity to satisfy my need to create, despite my many years in the field. I envy those on this board who have had those opportunities. I would love to have worked on some of those projects.

I've had fantasies of working for myself. I know that won't be easy. I've wanted to be an engineering consultant that specialized in rapid prototyping and product improvement. To that end, I spent some of my dwindling resources on a FPGA development system, and will spend the next few weeks learning it forward and backwards. The hopefully, I can at some point contract with a firm to help prototype their products. Working from my own lab would be ideal! :)

I've spent the better part of the last two decades writing code or working on multi-million gate digital integrated circuits, on a highly abstract level, or course. I joined this site because I wanted to get back to basics: volts, amps, transistors, op-amps, etc. I've had some great discussions here on both theoretical and practical issues. My basic electronics knowledge is very rusty, but some of the discussions have helped me to refocus on it, and I've come out a little better. In the future, I might even find the time to do a thorough review of the theory and clean up my underused knowledge base.

I loved the read, electronics from the 70s with analogue circuits are much different than the ones today with Digital IC chips am I correct?

Aren't you worried for the next generation of engineers? Would you encourage them to go into engineering? I love it and hope it sees me through my days, but in the next 20 years I can see most engineering jobs moving to the Far East. Manufacturing has gone that way, and I have met quite a few Chinese engineers who can hold their own in an electronics arguement. they are no longer the cut and paste merchants they used to be...

Discuss...

I hate being in the test department, at least in ON semi. (Anyone heard of ISMECA? I loathe that machine, it's everywhere) engineers come and go in that department during my internship. So I guess electrical engineers should be able to at least secure that position for some time? :(

Aren't you worried for the next generation of engineers? Would you encourage them to go into engineering?

I'm very worried, it's gone from the UK now, and jobs are still dropping - and the quality of students who post here from certain countries have me VERY worried about the quality of foreign engineers.

New to this Forum. Seems like a nice place with lots of very experienced members.

Me, I am 47 and deal on a daily basis with TV repairs, electronic parts and so on. Been an electronic junkie/hobbiest since I was around 10 yrs old or so. Built my first mains PSU @ around 11 yrs old. Still got it somewhere.

I would not change/trade my "profession" for anything in the world. Love it.

However, PCB design is my new challenge. I am flat out loving it as it utilises all the experience gained over the years of physically dealing with semiconductors and electronic parts in general.

New level that will hopefully fund my retirement in a few years time.

Last edited:
great to read the posts,

i remember the instances i finished my meal & still couldn’t remember that i had it, sometimes i forgot to eat at all...the only reason behind was the interest in electronics.
it was from my 15 yrs the time i got into the real entertainment of electronics.....started to learn from books...
before i got my electrical & electronic engineering degree, i was so capable to trouble shoot and repair consumer electronics.
my 1st job after graduation was in a workshop, as a workshop engineer for pioneer product. then i started my own electrical & electronics workshop and worked around 2 yrs..with few technicians. it was not a successful.

then i Joined a manufacturing company in Saudi Arabia and worked as a design engineer for some of the electronic products, where i really enjoyed my job in making prototypes and testing.

finally now i am working as an electrical engineer in a power plant, i really can’t say i enjoy my job like I enjoyed before since most of my job is now related to electrical side. For sure I will change my job to electronics when I get an opportunity.

i am now 36 and hope still there is enough time for that.

New to this Forum. Seems like a nice place with lots of very experienced members.

Me, I am 47 and deal on a daily basis with TV repairs, electronic parts and so on. Been an electronic junkie/hobbiest since I was around 10 yrs old or so. Built my first mains PSU @ around 11 yrs old. Still got it somewhere.

I would not change/trade my "profession" for anything in the world. Love it.

However, PCB design is my new challenge. I am flat out loving it as it utilises all the experience gained over the years of physically dealing with semiconductors and electronic parts in general.

New level that will hopefully fund my retirement in a few years time.

Hi are you from South Africa? I guess tv repair is a lot of demand in your country, can you tell me when you mean electronic parts what exactly do you mean? And please explain what is the most type of television sets you service?

I started playing around with the stuff when I was a kid, but have only been making a living from it since 1965. I now maintain communications systems for the US Department of State.

Aren't you worried for the next generation of engineers? Would you encourage them to go into engineering? I love it and hope it sees me through my days, but in the next 20 years I can see most engineering jobs moving to the Far East. Manufacturing has gone that way, and I have met quite a few Chinese engineers who can hold their own in an electronics arguement. they are no longer the cut and paste merchants they used to be...

Discuss...

You could not have summarized it better. And the previous post from Brownout.
When I started in electronics in 1978, I truly believed that this field would last my entire lifetime. The possibilities were boundless, and still are. But never, never, ever, in my wildest dreams, would I think that my job, and millions of other good technical jobs, would be outsourced to China.
China was back then a communist country (and well, technically it still is) that was to be feared (much like the USSR). In those days the outcome of the Cold War was far from being conclusive.
If you had asked me back then, Japan would have been the country where ALL of the electronic jobs would be in the future. Although Japan is still a powerhouse, it too has suffered manufacturing losses at the hands of China.

So.....Would I encourage someone to go into electronics engineering??? Although for me these 32 years have been extremely satisfying, the future is bleak...... I would not discourage anybody, but certainly I would NOT encourage them either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back