Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor choices - cement mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdaaa99

I have an electric cement mixer with a melted capacitor. It is CCB60 250V 40uF with operating temp 25/70/21

As a replacement I can find 40uF 250V 40/70/21 that is slightly undersized (70mm long instead of 80) or
40uF 450V 25/70/21 (no size listed)

As a newbie, what is more important - matching the operating temp or voltage? If both are important, what will happen if I use one of these.

Thanks so much, I'm in a little over my head, but I already have the thing disassembled and if it doesn't work, I was going to toss it anyway.

I can attach a picture of the existing capicitors label if that is helpful.
Tim

I attached a picture of the capacitor, including the melted area at the bottom. I do not know if it is a start or start/run capacitor, although I suspect it is start/run based on no knowledge - the system is very simple, it has an on/off button, an electric motor and a reducing gear box.

Attachments

• capacitor.jpg
    capacitor.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Yes please show a picture of the capacitors.
40 uF, 250 VAC are either motor start or motor run caps. The former are used for a few seconds and cutoff from the circuit, and thus can be made with back to back electrolytics. The latter require to be rated for the motor's service factor and are usually paper or film in steel cans.

You need to ensure that the capacitor is AC Motor Start/run rated, mainly oil/paper style.
Do you know if it is a run, start or start/run which is in circuit all the time?
Max.

I'd say voltage is more important.
However your missing an important rating, there is such a thing as a motor start cap, actually there is motor start, motor run and permanent capacitor caps.
A suppresor cap or even a cap from a fluorescent light might be ok for a few starts, but after a while you run the risk of popping it, literally.
Have a look in the local pages for a motor rewind and repair centre, they usually have a selection of them, and they'll know what they have for a good replacement.

No doubt a typo; CBB60 instead of CCB60

Made by several yingyang Chinese outfits as copying is the way of life; Here is one:Huifeng Electronic LTD.
**broken link removed**

It is in fact a motor run capacitor. Any run capacitor of 40mf in capacitance and 250Vor higher in voltage will do the job.

There are many available in the market w/ pins/wires etc... even Walmart sells them! All made in China.
Only thing is, Do not expect it to last. Gone are the days of US made capacitors that literally lasted for a lifetime.

Thanks all for your help. It is indeed CBB60. I ordered two capacitors to try - access is easy and I can swap them out as needed. The original capacitor lasted for hours and hours of run time, and I do not have any big projects planned at present, so hopefully I will be in business for at least a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back