Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can WE "The Electro-tech-online" make a compation

YOu are agree to make a competition on this forum

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't now

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
killivolt said:
Is it possible for someone to critic the projects maybe 3 judges. Then they display maybe why they thought that way about it(Not to extremely lengthily)

Then we read and try to understand it and then that person would get a popular vote from all of us as well.

Edit: The popular vote will have no effect on the results. Judges stand supreme.

There will be plenty of judges, don't worry.

there isnt even more than 1k registered active members!

Don't you mean "there aren't any more than 1k regis....", krummy? :D :p

Crap. :( It isn't funny anymore... :D

So maybe i am not the best spelllur. :eek: :D :D :D :( :D

I've read the first page and skimmed over the other 3, so I apologise if I have repeated an Idea.

We should have, along side ElectroMaster's smaller competitions, one large competition each year. The mods in conjunction with admins find a common real life problem that needs a solution.
The time line should be 6 months for a complete solution, including documentation and a prototype.

The competition should find some sponsor, which would provide the prize to the overall winner, no 2nd or 3rd. The catch would be that the solution must incorporate at least one of the sponsors products. E.g. If the sponsor happened to be TI, you must use a signal processor or OpAmp or other TI product in your design.

I don't know whether this would be worth everyone's time and effort, but it might be worth a shot?

Ero Sennin.

Hi Erosennin,

Thank you for your suggestions. That is what we do plan on doing. Bigger competitions, bigger prizes will come in the upincoming projects. At the moment we are just testing the waters and allowing some of our less experienced members to be able to participate.

I do see the competitions becoming far bigger and will push it that direction.

Possible problem: A competition that ignores the lesser capable...

I see a "possible" rift in this competition... Some questions for all of us to think about.

It is quite probable that only the advanced elite electronics extrordanaire will win anything, let alone participate. That eliminates me :)

Doesn't having a competion on one level "advanced electronics" alienates 95% of the people who belong to this forum. I am slightly above beginner, so would I stand a chance at participating??? I know I can't be the only "slightly more than novice" person here.

Will 5% participate and 95% spectate, because they are not advanced enough to compete???

Will people lose interest if they can't participate on a higher level of expertise?

Will you lose people's interest if the competition exceeds the average person's attention span for a forum??? I belive the majority of all those who join a forum get caught up in their own lives and participate for less than a month, though they do not quit, they just do not attend as frequantly. Less and Less as time goes on.

Is there a way to have several levels of competition so more people can get in on the action??? Who cares about the prizes.... Just being able to have a benchmark to measure yourself against (competition) would be enought for me to enjoy. Something to push my limits and then some.

Even if you do manage to have multiple levels, how would we be able to size people up in the right category of competition? Though I believe that we are all honest people, is it not beyond us as humans to defalt to a lesser category to ensure status (Big swan in small lake syndrome) or fear of to much competition or losing if we were to enter the correct level of competition?

Please understand, I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. These are just a few concerns we need to acknowlege and stay aware of.

As for me, there is no way that I could compete in solar power or Fuel cell advancement let alone understand those who can compete on such a level.

It's kinda like 8th grade gym all over again... Just sit on the bench and watch the older, stronger girls (or boys) play field hockey....

Can someone please point me in the direction of the sideline benches????

Though I might not be able to compete on such a level, I hope to remain involved enough to further my knowlegebase.

JUST A THOUGHT: Maybe it should be a prerequisite for competitors keep a public journal so we all can learn from their expertise. Just an idea.

Alexandra
From Pittsburgh, Pa.

Hi Alexandra,

This is my take on it.

I'm a hobbyist. I think I know enough to maybe take a stab at this contest but I'm not good enough to just toss off an entry. With work pressures right now I may not be able to participate.

I don't feel excluded from the competition though. At this time last year I wouldn't even have entertained the idea of entering. Now I feel I've learned enough to take a shot if I have time. The difference is that I've learned a lot in the past year, and what I've learned, I've learned from asking questions here, researching on my own, and reading what others who know more than me have written here and in other places.

Would I have felt excluded had the same competition been announced one year ago? No. I would have watched and learned.

While I hope that future competitions will address skill sets both more advanced and more basic, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any one competition to address all possible skill sets. When a competition is going on which you feel you're too advanced for, maybe lend your own experience to someone who needs it. When a competition is going on which is more advanced than where you're at, follow the discussions and see what you can learn.

In short, my feeling is that if you feel sidelined, you sit at the sideline and watch the game and try to learn something. If you feel that the game is too easy, maybe try to coach someone less experienced. If the game is a good match for your skill set, dive in.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Torben

Thank you Torben, It all sounds like sage advice:)

I wrote my post kind of tonge & cheek. I really do not feel slighted, it's kinda like....
You know there is a big party going on next door and you have no intention of attending, but it would have been nice to be asked nonetheless.

I was just putting some ideas out there for next year's festivities.

Alexandra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back