Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use a 240v input variac on 110vinput?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go grab some pics and figure out how to upload them.
At the bottom of your ETO page on the right of where yo normally post tou will see a button 'upload file'. If it is not showing.
LCLICK more options and a bigger editing window will be displayed, with 'upload file'. LCLICK either upload file button and navigate to the target file on your computer.

IMG_0895.JPG

That wiring does not look correct. The mains input should go to connection 2 & 5. I can't quite see from your pic though

CORRECTED To connection 2&5 not 2&6

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think that the wiring you have is for a 120V input and 240V output. the reason why you had the sparks is because you were feeding 240V into an effective inductor designed for 120V.
I will have a closer examinination of your pics and the manual and get back

Last edited:
No mains is 110v 50/60hz

Sorry to keep on, but before you said, 'oops, sorry I will fill that in, I am in USA and I believe it is 240v 60hz.'

As your mains voltage is crucial to the investigation can you definately say that your supply is 110V

I think I can see what is going on now. Can you say where the wiper was when you plugged in? I'll bet it was at minimum or 0V.

Told you I was a novice.... Thanks for your patience.

I am in USA and standard supply is 110-120v.

You are correct it was at zero but I did try it again briefly with it turned a little more.

Told you I was a novice.... Thanks for your patience.

I am in USA and standard supply is 110-120v.

You are correct it was at zero but I did try it again briefly with it turned a little more.

Don't try again or you may damage your Variac. I am just working out some wire changes to do a test

Hi back again. Can you do this:

Make sure the Variac is unplugged from the mains

(1) remove wire from terminal 6 and connect it to terminal 4
(2) remove the wire from terminal 3 (wiper) and wrap the exposed end of the wire in tape.
(3) Put the wiper more or less in the centre of its travel.

Turn the mains switch on the variac to on.

If you have a switched wall socket use that.

If not, plug the Variac plug into the mains but be prepared to pull it out imediately if there is any sparking, loud hum or any other indications of stress.

Let me know how it goes.

PS: I am expecting nothing to happen at all- if I am right the Variac will not be energised.

Last edited:
I guess you have gone to bed now. I am pretty sure I know what the problem is and how to fix it. When you are ready send me a private message if you want to contintinue

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back