Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i make these more sturdy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomguy42

Hi, most of the boards I work on have Rows of these Darlington transistors. Is there any accepted way to make them more sturdy? They obviously generate some heat so I was wondering if there's any thing professional's do.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210712_211612.jpg
    20210712_211612.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
I'd suggest these https://www.mcmaster.com/nylon-standoffs/male-female-threaded-hex-standoffs-6/ in nylon.

If you wanted to do metal then you would need shoulder washers.

I'm assuming the tabs are not electrically connected.

Another way is shoulder washers for each transistors, a nylon spacer and a piece of 4-40 all thread.
You might have to tweek a few solder joints, but it would be easier to insert. Nuts and a bellville washer.

They've been fine for the last 31 years, any attempt to "fix" it will likely end up in Sadness. I would look for a more protective chassis. What is it? A pen-plotter or chart recorder or...?

That looks like a pinball driver board.
That was my first thought. So much so that I thought I'd check how mine were supported, they're not.
darlingtons.png

As previously stated, they've worked fine like this for a (very) long time and will continue to do so.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back