Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone help bypass gear position switch motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKing111

Gentleman,Here is my dilemma.Have an 08 Suzuki B-King with ecm controlled fuel injection.The gear position switch has failed had code ran diagnostics according to service manual.This is expensive to replace and labor intensive being inside the engine behind the clutch pack.Please bear with me I am green with electronics but do have understanding of basics and can read schematics so my plan is to bypass the switch by inserting a resistor in place of the gp switch.I know this can be done because they have a device that they use called a TRE timing retard eliminator to trick the ecm into thinking its in a single gear like 4th or 5th.This removes timing retard in the lower gears for better response.Ok my understanding of how all this works is that the ecm outputs 5 volts to the gp switch which is variable resistor for each gear so the ecm sees the voltage drop for different gears and adjust timing, fuel,ect.So now the big question.I need to calculate what size resistor to use to drop from 5 volts to 3.7 volts that should set it to the 4th gear map but all the online calculators ask for load which i don't know.I assume its pretty low around 200 mill amps what I can gather about theses 5 volt sensors.Was told on some bike forums that its 2.7k put that did not work.Any help would be appreciated Thanks Gene

Simplest way would be a 5k potentiometer connected between 5v and ground and adjust it until the wiper gives 3.7v.

Mike.

Might be worth getting the switch as a spare part, then you can meter it and generally get a better idea whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back