Burnt Starting Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack mcleod

:cry:
Craftsman radial arm Model 113.2310
Motor Model KS48 DE-175
Class B, E37845, Mfg. No 5 74 1

Motor starting coil burnt probably due to motor disconect SW remainining closed after start up. SW contacts open by centrifugal device (works fine) on motor shaft. I polished the points but was told that the polishing may have removed too much of the siver & they might not work. Yes ? No? (On the bench continuity is good.) Is there an electronic replacement for said SW?
A replacement motor would be nice but Sears Canada has no replacement. Tried local shops & Google to no avail. Suggestions on locating one would be much appreciated.
Is a rewind (probably the starter coil & two field windings) a bad idea on a 30 year old motor? (rotor only no brushes) THANKS.

My experience with motors like that isn't particularly good. I had one fail on a table saw and when I did find a replacement it exceeded the cost of a new saw. When I did find someone who might repair it their estimates exceeded the cost of the replacement motor. When I am able, I purchase tools that have standard motors so that I can find parts or replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…