Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Burnt Starting Coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack mcleod

:cry:
Craftsman radial arm Model 113.2310
Motor Model KS48 DE-175
Class B, E37845, Mfg. No 5 74 1

Motor starting coil burnt probably due to motor disconect SW remainining closed after start up. SW contacts open by centrifugal device (works fine) on motor shaft. I polished the points but was told that the polishing may have removed too much of the siver & they might not work. Yes ? No? (On the bench continuity is good.) Is there an electronic replacement for said SW?
A replacement motor would be nice but Sears Canada has no replacement. Tried local shops & Google to no avail. Suggestions on locating one would be much appreciated.
Is a rewind (probably the starter coil & two field windings) a bad idea on a 30 year old motor? (rotor only no brushes) THANKS.

My experience with motors like that isn't particularly good. I had one fail on a table saw and when I did find a replacement it exceeded the cost of a new saw. When I did find someone who might repair it their estimates exceeded the cost of the replacement motor. When I am able, I purchase tools that have standard motors so that I can find parts or replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back