Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

building my own lc meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using the following schematic to build an accurate meter. https://electronics-diy.com/lc_meter.php

I have three questions

1) when the meter is measuring an inductor it's connected in series with the 82uH inductor and grounded on the other end yes?

2)When the meter is measuring a capacitor it's connected in parallel with the 82uH inductor and grounded on one side yes

3) The 1000pF capacitor being switched in via the reed relay is only used for inductance right?

The meter I have I believe is a old version. So there are some small changes.
There is a oscillator made of a L and C + op-amp. There must be a L and a C all the time. When measuring parts that are very small the L or C approach zero. The oscillator will not work work with zero parts....so.....with no part connected we have a 82uH and 1000pF in the oscillator and it works fine. (is is calibrated to be "0") If the L to be measured is 1uH the total is 83uH and 1000pF. The frequency of oscillation if measured and subtracted from the "0" frequency. Through math we know the inductor you added. (a 1uH and 1000pF will not oscillate)

1) Yes the L unknown is in series with the 82uH.
2) The unknown cap is in parallel with the 1000pF.
3) I don't know. (don't remember) My bad memory says my second cap is much larger.??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back