Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help designing my own diode tester with decent drive circuitry

I have a not so cheap multimeter from rapid electronics. It doesn't have a decent diode mode as it can't even light a regular led. I tried it on a ir led, it wouldn't even give me a forward volt drop reading.

Is it possible I can build a diode tester using my uno? It has to use through hole components since am hopeless at smd. I want it to have decent drive circuitry. If possible as good or better than what you would typically find in an expensive meter ie bryman or a fluke.

The "diode test" is simply a resistor from a voltage source to put current though the diode, with the multimeter reading the voltage across the test terminals.

A battery and resistor are all you need, with 4mm sockets and patch leads if you want to make a really fancy version rather than just hold the meter leads to the same places.

The battery should be something in the 6 - 9V range, so the current does not change too drastically with different LED voltage drops, and there is still sufficient voltage when the batteries are near flat (2/3 of the nominal voltage).

A 1K resistor should be suitable with either voltage, or 470 Ohm for more output; anything less than 20mA should be pretty safe on most things.

I have a not so cheap multimeter from rapid electronics. It doesn't have a decent diode mode as it can't even light a regular led. I tried it on a ir led, it wouldn't even give me a forward volt drop reading.

Is it possible I can build a diode tester using my uno? It has to use through hole components since am hopeless at smd. I want it to have decent drive circuitry. If possible as good or better than what you would typically find in an expensive meter ie bryman or a fluke.
Diode test range on a multimeter isn't intended to test, or light, LED's - I would strongly suggest you order yourself a 'component tester' kit like one of these:

There are numerous different types, great fun to build (I think I have four different ones :D ) and indispensable for checking all kinds of components, including LED's. Everyone should have (at least) one :D

If you ant to build your own from scratch, here's a nice simple example - which is basically an Arduino Uno with most of the bits left off:

All these devices are based on the same original design, from a German guy if I remember correctly?, and the software is freely available.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back