Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

brushless motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjee

How does the commutation takes place in a brushless motor?
In the stator using electronic switching or By magnetic coupling in the rotor.
I have the first choice as my answer but I'm just double checking does anyone have an idea? thanks...

All brushless DC motors that I'm aware of use electronics to provide the commutation voltage to the stator.

Last edited:
There is no "commutation" in a brushless motor.
Commutation refers to the energy passing to the rotating part of the motor (the armature or rotor) via slip rings or a segmented set of conductors and brushes.
Is the stator using electronic switching or by magnetic coupling in the rotor. Both answers are correct.
For a DC brushless motor the stator of "field" is switched electronically
For an AC brushless motor such as a squirrel-cage motor, the coupling to the rotor is by magnetic coupling and this coupling produces a current in a few turns on the rotor. The magnetic field produced by the rotor reacts with the outer field to produce rotation.

There is no "commutation" in a brushless motor.
There is commutation, it's just not mechanical. I was using the word "commutation" in the generic sense of a circuit that periodically switches the current into the motor (stator or rotor as the case may be) to provide a rotating field. Brushless DC motors are also called "electronically commutated" so that is not an incorrect definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back