Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bright Display Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

Hopefully a quick and simple question here, but I am looking for some input. Another hobby of mine is airsoft, and as a "for fun" project I've been building a PIC based system to be used as a game prop to add a bit of character to gameplay. Built from some scrap parts and some not, the thing works fairly well, several modes to support different operations during game-play, and that panic switch yields quite a satisfying sound when given a good whack for players.

Just one problem....
That display is kinda wimpy. I can't say I'm surprised, it's ripped from an old alarm-clock display. Worked well indoors while building and programming the thing, but fielding it proved that display needs a replacement. Tried recessing it further within the case, but it is still very difficult to read outside. I'm not 100% sure how much current those LED's can take before I'm hurting 'em, but experimenting did fry one of the segments on a set not currently illuminated there on the left of the full display.

Anyone have any ideas for a brighter 7-segment display or tried something like this before? the segments on there are currently ~2" tall. Hoping I can find something that's close, but most importantly, able to be seen outside by players.

100_5354_zps68f14327.jpg

Thanks guys!

-EF

Last edited:
if you can provide enough volts/current, then your best bet might be to make your own 7seg's from standard ultra-high-brightness LEDs; say 5 series connected leds per bar should give you a nice bright display of a similar size - also you can make it as big as you want as long as you're willing to assemble more leds and build a suitable driver.

Those LEDs should be able to take around 20mA. Try that, and if it isnt enough you could try a green filter over it or a brighter display, or discrete LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back