Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Borland C++ Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

Recently downloaded the free command-line C++ compiler, installation went OK but on compiling my C++ code I get: Error E2194 Could not find file
What could be the problem? I've verified the file name and confirmed there were no mistakes...

I did. Typing bcc32 on the console displays all the relevant parameters, Make, the compiler, linker and so on...

or if you meant the path of the file I also did as well...

Does the path to the file you're trying to compile have spaces in it? If so, try compiling in a directory where the path doesn't have any spaces in it.

Torben

Spaces in the path? Hmm... it does. C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop... But why would Borland design a compiler that hates spaces in the path? If this is the problem then I doubt if it's very good design...

I'll try it though a little bit doubtful. About the link Nigel, I think my compiler is well set up. Thanks..

Spaces in the path? Hmm... it does. C:\Documents and Settings\Desktop... But why would Borland design a compiler that hates spaces in the path? If this is the problem then I doubt if it's very good design...

I'll try it though a little bit doubtful.

Well, Borland C++ is from the 1990's and is a direct descendant of older DOS/Windows stuff so it might still carry some baggage from that era.

If you want to try free C++, I would first suggest g++ (under cygwin, if you're stuck using Windows), which is free and quite good. Another one which I've read good things about (but never tried) is call dev-c++.

Good luck,

Torben

The Windows file system is just a bodge, it doesn't really do long file names at all, and it can't include spaces. You're attempting to use an old DOS program which doesn't include the bodged file system - so use short filenames, no spaces, and keep to 8.3 as DOS requires.

It's not a Borland problem, it's a Microsoft one, as they never used a decent file system - Linux or AmigaDOS have no such problems, both been based on UNIX file systems.

Thanks Nigel and Torben. I solved the problem by adding .txt to the end of my the file_name (I had written it in Notepad). The new problem now is the compiler cannot find stdio.h and similar header files. However I'll try re-downloading the compiler from another site and see whether that solves the problem...

Last edited:
Thanks Nigel and Torben. I solved the problem by adding .txt to the end of my the file_name (I had written it in Notepad). The new problem now is the compiler cannot find stdio.h and similar header files. However I'll try re-downloading the compiler from another site and see whether that solves the problem...

Like I said way back in this thread, such directories need to be added to your PATH so they are found.

It would be a good idea if you could actually post the errors you are getting. Take a screenshot or something. Then we would have a little more to go on.

Torben

Thanks. My compiler's "include" folder doesn't have stdio.h listed, the last listed was chstring.h, all header files beyond this are absent. I mean files like iomanp, time, stdlib are absent. Data Corruption? Maybe it was where I downloaded it from. I'm re-downloading another and since I'm not stuck to borland I'm open to other choices as well. About uploading pix I'll do that if will help though think we're communicating quite nicely :)

Thanks. My compiler's "include" folder doesn't have stdio.h listed, the last listed was chstring.h, all header files beyond this are absent. I mean files like iomanp, time, stdlib are absent. Data Corruption? Maybe it was where I downloaded it from. I'm re-downloading another and since I'm not stuck to borland I'm open to other choices as well. About uploading pix I'll do that if will help though think we're communicating quite nicely :)

A screenshot of the error would be good, plus a link to where you downloaded the original package (the one you're having trouble with). I'll install it here and see what I get.

Torben

Last edited:
I've just started learning c and c++ and am using 'code::blocks' ide with wxWidgets. It all fits together very nicely and makes the process quick and simple so I can concentrate on learning the language rather than paths and text editors. It's available for different OS's as well so should keep Linux users happy.

Thanks for the editor Mikebits, would be useful ..

A screenshot of the error would be good, plus a link to where you downloaded the original package (the one you're having trouble with). I'll install it here and see what I get.
Torben

I've since uninstalled the compiler and no longer on my system so screen shot not possible. However, the error message was "printf function not defined", reason being because the compiler didn't have stdio.h!! It was a case of data corruption as I said earlier on and they did make reference to that possibility here: Downloads. Try Re-downloading and re-installing they advised which I'm presently doing...

I now have dev-c++ and doing fine... however whether for complexity and difficulty purposes Borland C++ appears more attractive and interesting:) Compiling without an IDE could be interesting and forces you to learn the nitty-gritty, hence downloading it again :)

Gee, what a lousy server they have!

Thanks to ALL of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back