Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blood pressure update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sucks is, I find a job I love and now I may face being in a wheelchair. The big guy hates me...

Last edited:
For anyone worried about the effects of getting older, particularly cancer, Alzheimer's, diabetes etc. I Thoroughly recommend a BBC documentary called "Eat fast and live longer". It's on you tube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM. It's a bit long (58 mins) but well worth watching. For people with shorter attention spans it's available in 4 parts. Part 1 is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSh6Ot8d7bU

Edit, A short description of the program - Michael Mosley has set himself a truly ambitious goal: he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight in the bargain. And he wants to make as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He discovers the powerful new science behind the ancient idea of fasting, and he thinks he's found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. Michael tests out the science of fasting on himself - with life-changing results.

I'll be very interested in people's views of this.

Mike.

Last edited:
Much of my condition was due to poor lifestyle. Despite making changes some 2 years ago, the past has caught up with me, and now I get to deal with those bad choices as I wither away.

Keeping on the update theme - I've had YAG laser treatment on my right eye today (it was going cloudy - apparently there's a 50% chance after cataract surgery).
I saw a few bright very thin streaks of light in both eyes following my cataracts surgery. They were caused by a membrane inside each eye. The membranes were zapped away by a laser and now my vision is extremely clear.

The eye clinic now sells a few brands of adjustable-focus synthetic lenses for cataracts surgery. Then glasses are never needed. Government insurance does not pay for these deluxe very expensive lenses.
The focus of my lenses is fixed at 4m to infinity so I wear "reading glasses" for closeup.

Had not seen this thread until just now.

Went back to post #1 and read'em all.

Wow...

I'm a boomer also (64+). Last surgery (June 30th) was for AAA (got it replaced with a ribbed Dacron tube). I can see blood vessels in my feet again :D.

Gotta say, though, some of you guys have health travails that make me a piker. Hang in there.

Been sitting here reading about it all.

Think I better go out and ride my bike for a while...

OMG!
I understand for some it is to late to improve health. That is sad!
I am 70, she is 75. A month ago we spent a week in NYC. We walked 10 miles a day (only way to see a city!). I lost 15 lbs. Next month: 6 weeks in Europe (no, I don't expect to loose 90 lbs), same regimen. Get your collective asses (if you can) of the couch, turn off the TV (you'f seen that show before anyway) and be amazed! E

Keeping on the update theme - I've had YAG laser treatment on my right eye today (it was going cloudy - apparently there's a 50% chance after cataract surgery).

My doctor never told me about this, I have to go in soon to get my right eye worked on. The left is doing pretty good.

What sucks is, I find a job I love and now I may face being in a wheelchair. The big guy hates me...

That really sucks, it's good to share our fate. I'm only 56 and thought I was the only one. Until reading all of these. I know I'm not alone.

kv

Last edited:
Despite my failing hip. I am still managing to do what I love. I am becoming tolerant of pain. I am scheduled for hip replacement in February.

Here I am doing a little rappelling.

View attachment 68338

Just took my fire apparatus driver/operator training.

View attachment 68339

Despite my failing hip. I am still managing to do what I love. I am becoming tolerant of pain. I am scheduled for hip replacement in February.

Here I am doing a little rappelling.

My knee is always in pain, Old skiing injury. I have avoided going to the Doc for 30yrs, guess it's time while I have Health Insurance.

Planning to get surgery on the right eye. I hope the left holds up. Can't see anything but clouds in it. After surgery, if all goes well I'll have better depth perception.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards,
kv

I had cataracts surgery on both of my eyes that became cloudy then I was blind.
Now I can see extremely clearly and colors are very vivid.

The surgeon zapped films on the lenses that developed after the surgery (with a YAG laser?) and it worked perfectly.

I paid a little more than the free goverment medical plan. I had many extra tests to make certain that the focusing will be accurate and extra surgery to correct the astigmatism that all old people get. My lenses are smaller and better supported than the free older ones so my eyes healed very quickly (one day). Newer very expensive lens implants in the eye can adjust focussing like real young vision but I did not get that so I wear reading closeup glasses.

Woopee! Sometimes the new lenses in my eyes can see through women's clothing! Maybe I can see the IR heat. I can see women upclose or very far away!
It is wonderful to see the millions of stars in the sky at night.

Your so right. Sometimes as young folk we tend to take things for granted. hahaha. (Girl watching) I tend to get a little worried about later on, just like Nigel said, and now you are saying, about need of a (YAG) also.

But, it could be worse for me.

My Fathers Uncle was a "Blind Judge" years ago as a Child, he had a string attached to a metal can top, cut from from a can. Putting a hole in it and attaching a string, pulling the string made it spin.

Well it cut thru and flew up and hit his left eye.

So, then sometime later, playing with friends they were shooting BeeBee guns. He stuck his good eye out to take a shot and was shot in his good eye? He was able put himself through College and became a Lawyer.

Then became a Judge. My Father said, he would walk him down the same street he walked for years and he would Duck Down to prevent a tree limb (Not there) from brushing his hat off. The Tree was removed for over 10yrs.

I'm sure it was strange when he did it, to passers by.

I'm hoping for the best. I'm so glad you have it back:)

kv

I am glad that there is an improvement of your reading(downward); you should try to do walking at least 30 minutes everyday and no fatty food at the moment.

On TV they showed a completely blind guy walking along and riding a bicycle. He made click sounds and listened for the reflected sound from objects like a bat.
His "sonar" let him know where the objects were. He was very accurate.

Surgery is scheduled for Mar , 6th. Cataracts Surgery, right eye. I have a YAG scheduled later the next week for the left.

Edit: Thank you Nigel, and audioguru.

Other stars than those at night...

It is wonderful to see the millions of stars in the sky at night.

Good! Stick to those and just make sure your wife does not catch you watching young girls or you could end seeing kind of different stars! :p

Killivolt, are you getting eye lenses that have adjustable focus like the original ones? I didn't because they cost too much. I can see extremely clearly from about 3m to infinity. Let us know how good your vision becomes.

I saw stars when looking at traffic lights at night and thought it was specs on my glasses. Nope, it was the beginning of cataracts.
Now I don't need glasses except for reading, on the computer or seeing up close.

I like looking at pretty young movie star women.

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

Thank you.

Killivolt, are you getting eye lenses that have adjustable focus like the original ones? I didn't because they cost too much. I can see extremely clearly from about 3m to infinity. Let us know how good your vision becomes.

I saw stars when looking at traffic lights at night and thought it was specs on my glasses. Nope, it was the beginning of cataracts.
Now I don't need glasses except for reading, on the computer or seeing up close.

I like looking at pretty young movie star women.

I have the same, I didn't want the near and far. The Doctor said at night I would have halos from oncoming traffic. He could see scare tissue developing behind the Left eye, the reason for the YAG.

No, eating or drinking after midnight. Steak medium well, and Wine till 10:00pm tonight:)

Last edited:
My vision and I were fine the day after the surgery because my lenses were the new small folded ones so healing was very quick.
I am glad that I didn't get the cheap old huge monster lenses that take a month to heal that the government pays for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back