Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blood pressure update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, before I got sick I was 265 Lbs and when I was released the last time I was 155 and still falling. So I looked like a beached whale in my neoprene wet suit. or a really mishappen walrus at least, so when I got the word that he was OK with diving I was tickled prety good. Wont have to carry all that extra lead weight to the bottom to overcome the "extra" fats bouyancy now either. I just wonder if either one of my wetsuits will fit anymore? That would be a PITA to have to get another smaller, I could be like Oprah with stuff in all different sizes to match this months renovation. Hope you guys all have a safe and happy new year and a good and prosperous 2011 for your entire famlies. 2010 has been pretty good to me in spite of all that happened.

Latest update - just back from the hospital, after second cataract operation.

Don't know if it works or not yet, as this time they have stuck a pad over the eye, under the shield - I won't find out until tomorrow when I take it off.

For my cataracts operations I selected lenses that allow me to see pretty young women very clearly, far away and even see through their thin clothing. I can also see them in the dark. But these lenses sort of grey-out ugly old women. I don't know if you also selected these kind of lenses.

Did they fix the focus so you no longer need glasses to see far? They fixed mine so I can see from 4m to infinity very clearly without glasses.
I still use my old tri-focal glasses to see extreme close-up to 25cm, from 25cm to 1m and from 1m to 4m. But I can see at 2m without glasses well enough to run down stairs without tripping and to watch TV.

Good luck, Nigel.

For my cataracts operations I selected lenses that allow me to see pretty young women very clearly, far away and even see through their thin clothing. I can also see them in the dark. But these lenses sort of grey-out ugly old women. I don't know if you also selected these kind of lenses.

Those were extra, and required a monthly subscription as well, so I stuck with the free ones.

Did they fix the focus so you no longer need glasses to see far? They fixed mine so I can see from 4m to infinity very clearly without glasses.

That's what they pretty well aim for, the first eye is still slightly short sighted, which is where they intended it to be - but I can't say it seems particularly short sighted. I've not had an eye test since, I was waiting for the second op, and for it to settle down.

I still use my old tri-focal glasses to see extreme close-up to 25cm, from 25cm to 1m and from 1m to 4m. But I can see at 2m without glasses well enough to run down stairs without tripping and to watch TV.

I was VERY short sighted, so old glasses are completely the wrong way :D

My old ones were varifocals, and just the lenses cost £350 :eek

The reading glasses I'm wearing (or trying to) at this moment were £1 from the £1 shop :D

So, funny:)

Good luck, Nigel.

Even though I only have the one eye done. I think I will have to get the try-focal. It's a pain to keep grabbing for my fold ups when I need them.

I resist cause it isn't every single minute of the day.

My Blood Pressure was forever 110 over 48 10yrs ago.

Now at 53yrs old, I'm 140 over 89 Pre-Hypertention?

Even though I only have the one eye done. I think I will have to get the try-focal. It's a pain to keep grabbing for my fold ups when I need them.
Very expensive cataracts repacement lenses are focusable like the original real live lens. But I was told that they frequently get "stuck" then need to be replaced in another operation. The replacement lens is free but you pay for the second operation (thousands of dollars) plus the healing time.
I don't know which hardware (screws?) or glue holds the lens in place. Maybe the eye is damaged when a synthetic lens is replaced?

My Blood Pressure was forever 110 over 48 10yrs ago.
Healthy numbers.

Now at 53yrs old, I'm 140 over 89 Pre-Hypertention?
You have high blood pressure that should be reduced or you might die. High blood pressure causes diabetes because it kills many internal organs. Don't eat any fat and cholesterol. Exercise.
Why doesn't your doctor prescribe blood pressure reduction drugs?

Before my heart attack I cut away fat on meat but I ate lots of Cholesterol hamburgers and Cholesterol Kentuky Fried Chicken.
For many years I put cholesterol cream in my coffee. It and the other fats are deadly stuff.
I felt fine one hour before my heart attack.
Now I eat lean meat, fish (if fresh and not too rotten), vegetables and some fruit.

Now I drink beer. It has no cholesterol. (burp, burp, burp, ...)

Last edited:
Second eye still a bit 'iffy', but focus seems about same this morning as the first eye, which is good.

Still very bloodshot though, the second op caused a LOT more trauma (and pain) than the first one.

The second one was done just using drops, the first used an injection which prevented you been able to move the eye at all (the injection wasn't pleasant though).

However, right at the end of the op he seemed to stick a syringe in the eye anyway, I don't know what that was about?.

For my cataracts operations I was heavily sedated but not put to sleep. I felt an eyedrop that numbed the eye then felt some pressure during the operation but no pain. There was no pain after the operations.

For my cataracts operations I was heavily sedated but not put to sleep. I felt an eyedrop that numbed the eye then felt some pressure during the operation but no pain. There was no pain after the operations.

Heavily sedated! - damn! :D

Apparently for very nervous patients they will give mild sedation, but that's all.

Audioguru:

And the subsequent result of this great visual acuity could have likely been the heart attack?

Before my heart attack I cut away fat on meat but I ate lots of Cholesterol hamburgers and Cholesterol Kentuky Fried Chicken.
For many years I put cholesterol cream in my coffee. It and the other fats are deadly stuff.
I felt fine one hour before my heart attack.
Now I eat lean meat, fish (if fresh and not too rotten), vegetables and some fruit.

I believe the root cause of the problem was a focus on hot younger woman, regardless of diet! :)

Ron

Before I became a dirty old man I was a dirty young man. Before that I was a dirty kid.
I have always been attracted to pretty young women even when I was very young.
I think the excitement strengthened my heart, not weakened it.

Actually, my heart attack was caused by two blocked arteries that feed my heart. They were blocked with cholestrol. During the yearly medical checkups before the heart attack the cholestrol level in my blood and blood pressure were fine so no medication was prescribed.

Quick update on my stuff. Spent 4 days in the hospital from the "community acquired" flu. Almost made it to pnuemonia, but stopped it in time so I am back home after a week of no internet, a blown hard drive and 4 days in the hospital. My only question is whats next? Glad to hear about you cataract surgery and hope it comes out well Nigel.
Bob

Tom Waits: I dont wanna grow up

When I see the price you pay.. I dont wanna grow up.

I open up your medicine chest, and I dont wanna grow up.

--

Puts it in perspective of the maladies that come with age.

But then again, a 16 year old just walked into a elevator shaft...with no elevator in it.

OK - latest info :D

Been for post-op this morning, saw the same Nurse Practitioner who measured my eyes for the lens back in the summer.

Everything is going as expected (and I'm happy with it anyway), so he's discharged me. I will get a letter arranging an appointment with the Hospital Optician, probably six weeks or so when the eye has fully settled down. I'm happy with that - saves me paying to go and see an Optician :D

Anyway, he rememebered me from before, and he's a nice guy (no idea what his name is, he's Black African, and it seemed more a random collection of letters than anything else) so I mentioned the second op was more painful then the first.

So he explained that my left eye was severely astigmatic, and that in order to reduce it they insert the lens from the top rather than the side, and that this tends to be more painful and difficult than inserting from the side. I also asked about the injection in the eye at the end, and that's apparently anti-biotics, which they do after all cataract operations - presumably with the previous op been numbed by an injection, I just didn't feel the later one (I did feel the original numbing injection though).

So, all going well, really happy :D

I'm glad to hear that you are happy and doing well! :D :D :D

-Ben

Hi Nigel,
Thanks for keeping us infomed that your "new" vision is coming along slowly but nicely.

Did you notice that colours are much more vivid and the many stars and moon at night look amazing?

Did you see any pretty young ladies far away yet? Or close-up yet? There were a couple of them in the hospital but most nurses are huge ocean liners.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back