Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BIOS update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertwill

Hi to all,

I have a Gigabyte M61P-S3 board. I bought a Athlon 64 x2 6000, 3.1 GHz to replace my Athlon 3800. I did a BIOS update, swapped processors out, rebooted and I get no POST at all. Just fans. No beep code. nothing.
I put the Athlon 3800 back in and it works fine. My question... Is there something else that I have to do in BIOS so the new processor will boot or does it sound like a dead processor?

Another thing. I did try to use the processor before I did the BIOS update and it would boot but system would shutdown after a few minutes. Like I said, that was before. Now nothing but fans. Any thoughts on this?

If i were you i would first look in the mother board user manual what tipe of processors i can use. If the mother board is not capable to use the processor you use, it will definitely blow the processor and i think that is exactly what happend.

soda

Have you determined if that processor is even compatible with your motherboard? The maker will have a complete list of supported chips. If the old chip boots it's not the bios' fault unless there is a newer bios that adds support for that chip. Just because it fits the socket does NOT mean that it will be supported by the bios especially with a machine more than 2 years old. Even newer machines might have issues because chip makers change things around fairly frequently now days. Luckily if it's still under warranty you can likley get a replacement, as long as you determine if that motherboard can support it (even after the bios update)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back