BIOS update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertwill

Hi to all,

I have a Gigabyte M61P-S3 board. I bought a Athlon 64 x2 6000, 3.1 GHz to replace my Athlon 3800. I did a BIOS update, swapped processors out, rebooted and I get no POST at all. Just fans. No beep code. nothing.
I put the Athlon 3800 back in and it works fine. My question... Is there something else that I have to do in BIOS so the new processor will boot or does it sound like a dead processor?

Another thing. I did try to use the processor before I did the BIOS update and it would boot but system would shutdown after a few minutes. Like I said, that was before. Now nothing but fans. Any thoughts on this?

If i were you i would first look in the mother board user manual what tipe of processors i can use. If the mother board is not capable to use the processor you use, it will definitely blow the processor and i think that is exactly what happend.

soda

Have you determined if that processor is even compatible with your motherboard? The maker will have a complete list of supported chips. If the old chip boots it's not the bios' fault unless there is a newer bios that adds support for that chip. Just because it fits the socket does NOT mean that it will be supported by the bios especially with a machine more than 2 years old. Even newer machines might have issues because chip makers change things around fairly frequently now days. Luckily if it's still under warranty you can likley get a replacement, as long as you determine if that motherboard can support it (even after the bios update)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…