Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bicycle light, usb-charger help

Status
Not open for further replies.

barughy

Hello,
I have a bicycle dynamo (40% efficeiency, 6v/3w) that I want to charge my bike lights (which is a converted 12v Remington electric shaver, with rechargable batteries - powered by 3 LEDs in parallel)
The voltage going to the LED's is 4.8v, if I've used the multimeter correctly.

I also have a car USB charger with built built-in fuse protection, it converts 12-24v to a 5v charge, which I want to use to power my phone. I'm not sure if it will be able to using a bicycle dynamo.

I dont know much about electronics and what I do know I've learnt myself over the last few days. I'd be grateful if I could get some advice on what what I need to make it all come together and not blow my face off, wreck my phone, or cause a problem with the batteries.

So do I need to build a regulator and if so, how would I go about doing that?
The LEDs work fine and haven't blown (yet) but I'm not confident I have the right voltage going through them (it seems high) so what resistor would you suggest?

If I've missed out any glaring issues you think I should resolve as well then please dont be shy in elightening me.

Thanks.

I've had that experience before, with a bike light glowing brightly that it burnt out at night. I now use battery-powered lights. The solution is a crowbar circuit, if you want to charge your phone off the dynamo. Most cellphones will take a 4.8VDC feed from a car plug ( regulated), but for your bike idea a low voltage may not adequately recharge your phone. The LEDs will still glow, while the extra feed recharges your phone battery. Too low a voltage from the dynamo may justify adding a small disc battery to the crowbar output to increase the voltage to the phone. I don't have such a circuit.

You could use a buck/boost regulator to power your stuff.

E=IR
2=.02*R
R=100

So you would need a resistor of about 100Ω for each LED, using a power supply of 5V.
The resistor goes in series with the LED.

Oh and your dynamo is rated at a 6V output so no you won't be able to use the USB charger thing.
Maybe it will be possible to use a Low-Drop-Out V-regulator.

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back