Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best CAD software

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not usea ACAD in many years. I love (many ! marks) Solidworks. I do not know where you are, here, at our tech. institute, they have several courses a year teaching this programme. Unfortunately any of these CAD programs are brohibitively expensive. E

I like Eagle alot. It is the only one I have had any real experiance with, but have no complaints with it.
I have only learned how to use Eagle for schematics and boards.

How would one go about using it for 3D molds???

I think no one is the best. Each with its own characteristics. You should consider the function, the price and then choose.

I have only learned how to use Eagle for schematics and boards.

How would one go about using it for 3D molds???

Sorry didn't read the whole question. My vote has changed to autocad. For the $4000 it costs, it better be the best.

You may want to take a look at google sketchup. There is a free and a pro version.

I have made a model of my house in sketchup, its easy to use but i find it not too accurate with measurements.
AutoCAD is far better than sketchup because it has 3d Rendering capability.

There is another option of using 3D Studio Max but same issue, its better suited far character development and measurements are not that easy to handle in it.

Dimensions etc. In autoCAD you can give command while drawing line for example, you select a line tool , click and start drawing line, you can give length in units like 20' and it will not draw more than 20'.

In sketchup i didnt find these kinda tools. AutoCAD is a professional software which civil, architects, car manufacturers etc use because of its accuracy. I find Sketchup to be fast but not that professional.. however thats my opinion maybe professionals also use it.

Hi, can anyone suggest what is the best CAD software.

I have AutoCAD right now but i want to start learning for real. My goal is to be able to design stuff molds in 3D.

??????????

AutoCAD is the de facto leader in 3D modelling. Perhaps you have AutoCAD Lite which is 2D only?

Rhino 3D is also very nice. However most people suggested AutoCAD so i am gonna go ahead with it.

AutoCAD is the de facto leader in 3D modelling. Perhaps you have AutoCAD Lite which is 2D only?

I didn't know there was a light version for 2D only, mine supports 3D with 3D rendering engine. I have used Accurender in the Past, lets see what the new AutoCAD brings.

Rhino 3D is also very nice. However most people suggested AutoCAD so i am gonna go ahead with it.

I didn't know there was a light version for 2D only, mine supports 3D with 3D rendering engine. I have used Accurender in the Past, lets see what the new AutoCAD brings.

It took me about 40 hours to go from never having used AutoCAD to making a worthwhile/almost right 3D model. The program has a useful timer! I'd advise you to get a very good and comprehensive manual/workbook because it is a steep learning curve and the included 'help' files won't get you started very well.

Last edited:
It took me about 40 hours to go from never having used AutoCAD to making a worthwhile/almost right 3D model. The program has a useful timer! I'd advise you to get a very good and comprehensive manual/workbook because it is a steep learning curve and the included 'help' files won't get you started very well.

Do you have an E-book or something or maybe name of book you used?

Hi, can anyone suggest what is the best CAD software.

I have AutoCAD right now but i want to start learning for real. My goal is to be able to design stuff molds in 3D.

Other than "design stuff molds in 3D" you really haven't stated the major goals for the software. Especially 3D rendering requirments.

Yesterday I was over to another of our facility areas where the ME types thrive and asked about modeling software. They have available and use both autocad and pro engineer. The general consensus was that for 3D modeling their choice was using Pro Engineer.

Additionally you want to give consideration to the system that will be running the software.

Personally in my areas I don't use either for my work but again, you may want to consider Pro Engineer in your decision making process based on your specific needs.

Ron

Do you have an E-book or something or maybe name of book you used?

I use "AutoCAD 2009 & AutoCAD LT 2009 Bible". It is an ebook published by Wiley and written by Finkelstein. I tried other ebooks but they weren't as clear or weren't as thorough.

Additionally you want to give consideration to the system that will be running the software.

Ron

I have AutoCAD running on my laptop. It doesn't have a graphics card at all. THe only annoying thing about this is actually using the touchpad, so I have to attach a mouse. It is only if I'm doing something incredibly complicated it will slow down or stop. For ordinary civil engineering its no problem.

Antknee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back